DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How indexes work ?

Question

Can someone tell me how indexes work ?
    Does index stores some kind of number which select statement then accesses to make query faster ?
    Is it stored in memory ? If so what happens when some one does DML on that table. Now you try to do select, how does index knows the new data ?

I read many documents on this but this is not explained any where. It is just said that good indexes improves performance, which I think everyone knows. How ??

Thanks
    Sonali
    Sonali

Try this:

[url]http://www.precise.com/products/tip5.html[/url]

hope this will give you a hint

Thanks

in short

index is another segment, seperated from table segment. in each "block" it stores the rowid and the value of the column
    in b*tree index, the most common one:

if you have empno from 1 to 16
    ythe structure would be somthing like

1~16
    1~8 9~16
    1~4 4~8 9~12 13~16

for example empno column in table emp

EMPNO ENAME JOB MGR HIREDATE SAL COMM DEPTNO
    --------- ---------- --------- --------- -------- --------- --------- ---------
    16 SMITH CLERK 7902 17/12/80 800 20

ROWID
    ------------------
    AAAHwJAAFAAAVaSAAA

empno is indexed so index empno will store AAAHwJAAFAAAVaSAAA and 16

rowid is the physical address of data in disk so it´s the fastest way to retrieve a data if we know rowid

HTH

thanks, I still doesn't understand why inserts and deletes make the query slower if you have index. If it locates it by Rowid-column value combination ? Does Rowid change with insert / deletes ?

thanks again
    Sonali

Hi,

When you insert records into a table, all the indexes related to this table have to be updated with the rowid information for the newly inserted record. If you have too many indexes on a table then this synchronization operation takes time.

Baliga

When u insert or delete, the index also has to be inserted with the new rowid of the newly inserted record or has to delete the rowid from the index leaf page for the deleted records.

Thus, if u have many indexes on a particular table, the insert/delete on the base table causes i/o on the indexes.

Hi:

Since Sonali brought index issue, I have a question
    which index is better bitmap or b-Tree? when do you use b-Tree and Bitmap index?

Let me know.

Thanks.

Hi,
    Whether to create a bit map index or b-tree index depends on the requirement.If the column has low cardinality,then creating a bitmap index is better.If the column has a high cardinality,then creating a b-tree index is better.Hope this helps.

Rajesh.