DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to manage CLOB tables

How to manage CLOB tables

Hi..We have a table. Which has 4 columns.
    1.ID column,2.CLOB column(which contains file information),3.Create Date,4.Create BY.
    Inserting data in this row is increasing exponenetially. Currently the size of this table is 400GB. Now to manage this table we have decided to delete some data in every year. But as deleting doesn't free up the space for CLOB table we need to shrink it. My question is is there any way that after every deletion we don't have to shrink/compress the table to free up the space.

I'm not sure what to tell you to shrink your table. Lobs tend to use a lot of space. You can try storing the
    clob externally to the table. The closer the extent sizes are to the size of the vast majority of clobs with some
    space for edits, the less space the clobs will need.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by PDutta View Post
    Hi..We have a table. . . . E t c
    . . . we have decided to delete some data in every year. But as deleting doesn't free up the space for CLOB table we need to shrink it. My question is is there any way that after every deletion we don't have to shrink/compress the table to free up the space.
    1) Partition the table
    2) Use securefiles.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb