DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Database Cross Platform Migration from 9i to 11g

Oracle Database Cross Platform Migration from 9i to 11g

Hi All,

I am into oracle database migration project.I need your help for this migration.
    Please find the below details and suggest me the best method to implement this migration.

Oracle Database migration from 9i to 11g.

Source Details:
    ----------------

Database Version: 9i
    Database size: 3.7 TB
    Environment: Production(Standalone)

Target Details:
    -----------------
    Database Version: 11g
    Environment: Production (Standalone)

Since the source and target OS are in different Endian format,seems it should be the cross platform migration.

Since it is a production environment the downtime should be less.

Please suggest me the best method for this migration.

Thanks in Advance...

Have you thought about starting with an upgrade in place to 11g? You can simply install 11.2.0.3
    to a new Oracle home, then when you have downtime run dbua to migrate the database to 11g.

I only mention it because you might be able to use transportable table spaces, but you need the
    source database at 11g to begin with. There is a documented process on how to convert data files
    to a different endian. I was working on a Solaris to Linux migration two years ago and that was the
    initial method of migration. We ended up not doing that because of issues we had with the use of
    XML data types.

Otherwise you want to use data pump. Ideally you want to use compression=all and parallel=
    You need to see what objects you want to create before doing the insert, like table spaces, users, and roles.
    Ultimately, you want to practice the migration several times doing all of the steps, except shutting down
    the current database first. While you are working on this you should get timings to see how much downtime
    you will need, and to make sure that you have the process fully documented.