DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: dumpfile

Hybrid View

dumpfile

without dumpfile how to export

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Niranjan1987 View Post
    without dumpfile how to export
    If you do not want a dumpfile, DO NOT export!
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

no buddy u r wrong,we do using DBLINKS but how to export using dblinks i dont know (accenture inteview question)

no buddy u r wrong,we do using DBLINKS but how to export using dblinks i dont know (accenture inteview question)
    I had a database that I needed to migrate from Solaris to Linux. The customer used xml types as datatype for tables. As a result we could not get exp or expdp to work. We also weren't able to get transportable table spaces to work. As I understand it there is a process to change the endian on a transportable table space. I ended up creating a blank schema on the Linux server with the xsd types, which allowed me to use create table as select statements to create the tables with the correct data types. I then exported and imported the tables that had long and long raw. Finally I used exp rows=n to export the constraints and indexes. It took 12 hours but it worked. Ideally you want to use expdp with compression=all and as many channels as you can use. But even better than that is to have the same OS on both servers and to use an rman backup to setup a data guard standby on the new server, then activate it to make it the current prod server, then if needed run dbua to upgrade to a new version of Oracle.

I did something similar to upgrade and migrate a database from 32 bit Linux to 64 bit Linux. Including upgrading from 10.2.0.3 to 11.2.0.3 and converting the database to 64 bit, that migration to less than two hours.

So yes you can either have the tables existing and do insert into, or you can do create table as. You then need to create indexes, constraints, triggers and any other stored procedures. You just need to know what the dependencies are.

I'm pretty sure Accenture worded the question better than "without dumpfile how to export" which does not even has a question mark.

Do you remember how the question was worded?
    Last edited by PAVB; 02-16-2014 at 08:23 AM. Reason: typo
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.