DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Database Installation

Hybrid View

Oracle Database Installation

Hello,

I am new to the Oracle Database. I would like to install Oracle 11g database on windows7 desktop. I need to install oracle db on linux using vm box.

Please help me with links to download free vm and linux softwares.

Here is the link for the software:
    http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/da...eSiteId=ocomen

Here is an install guide ffor Windows 7:
    http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/tech...windbinst2.htm

Here is the install guide for Windows 64 bit, assuming that you are using Windows 7 64 bit. It should be the same:
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/...c.htm#BGBFAAIC

Here is the same for Linux 64 bit:
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/...c.htm#CEGHFFGG

Here is some getting started information:
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/...e10897/toc.htm

Learning Oracle involves a steep learning curve. But good luck, and keep trying. You may want to start with Windows, since it will be more straight forward to install. Good Luck.

Thanks for your reply. I have tried to install Oracle on windows and tried many times and got struck over here.

Finally it failed at Dataconfiguration assistant with "Template General_Purpose.dbc does not exist. Please specify an existing template for database creation.

INS 20802 Oracle Database configuration assistant failed
    Last edited by srikanth535; 02-04-2014 at 04:29 PM.

You should not need to create a template. Can you post the log file for the database creation? You might also try going through the screen and just get Oracle to create the scripts for creating the database. You can then run those scripts from DOS.

Here is the log of dbca assistant
    Feb 6, 2014 1:38:13 AM oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig perform
    SEVERE: Listener is not up or database service is not registered with it. Start the Listener and register database service and run EM Configuration Assistant again .
    Refer to the log file at E:\opt\oracle\apps\cfgtoollogs\dbca\dev1\emConfig.log for more details.
    Feb 6, 2014 1:38:13 AM oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig perform
    CONFIG: Stack Trace:
    oracle.sysman.emcp.exception.EMConfigException: Listener is not up or database service is not registered with it. Start the Listener and register database service and run EM Configuration Assistant again .
    at oracle.sysman.emcp.ParamsManager.checkListenerStatusForDBControl(ParamsManager.java:3245)
    at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMReposConfig.unlockMGMTAccount(EMReposConfig.java:1001)
    at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMReposConfig.invoke(EMReposConfig.java:346)
    at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMReposConfig.invoke(EMReposConfig.java:158)
    at oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig.perform(EMConfig.java:253)
    at oracle.sysman.assistants.util.em.EMConfiguration.run(EMConfiguration.java:583)
    at oracle.sysman.assistants.dbca.backend.PostDBCreationStep.executeImpl(PostDBCreationStep.java:968)
    at oracle.sysman.assistants.util.step.BasicStep.execute(BasicStep.java:210)
    at oracle.sysman.assistants.util.step.Step.execute(Step.java:140)
    at oracle.sysman.assistants.util.step.StepContext$ModeRunner.run(StepContext.java:2667)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
    Feb 6, 2014 1:38:13 AM oracle.sysman.emcp.EMConfig restoreOuiLoc
    CONFIG: Restoring oracle.installer.oui_loc to E:\opt\oracle\apps\product\11.2.0\dbhome_1\oui

I have started OracleOradb11g_home1clragent and OracleOradb11g_home1TNSListner services.
    Will give a try again and post the update

Thanks a lot for your help. After starting these services, I could create a database and logged in as system

Note: while installation dbca assistant has failed and I skipped and finished installing software. Later I went to start=>All Programs=>Oracle=>Configuration and Migration tools and triggered dbca assistant and created a database.

But what should I do get installed XE database.

Quote Originally Posted by srikanth535 View Post
    But what should I do get installed XE database.
    Glad to hear that you got a database running. An XE database is still a database. It is more the process of creating the database is simpler. I haven't done anything with an XE database, but you should already have what you need. Try answering the following questions for your database:

1. What is the result of select * from v$instance;
    2. What is the result of select * from v$database;
    3. is my database in archive log mode?
    4. if so where do my archive logs go?
    5. where is my diag directory?
    6. within the diag directory where is the alert log?
    7. how many online redo files do I have and how large are they?
    8. how many data files do I have and how large are they?

You will need to look up the answers. But if you can connect as system, then you can query for the above information.
    You should also read the concepts guide so that you know what the basic parts of a database are. Good luck and keep learning.

You should try putting the database into archive log mode and setting up rman backups.

Ya, I will do this and let you know if facing any issues with RMAN