DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: varchar2 date type

varchar2 date type

Hi,

We have a table with a column type varchar2 and my customer is storing a DATE into that column. The table is based on a Oracle Form and there is a calendar attached to the front-end. The Form Users select/enter and save date without any issues. The date store into the table in a YYYY/MM/DD 00:00:00 format and display from the front-end as DD-MON-YYYY. (so far so good).

Recently, I designed a PL SQL package interface and have a DBlink with another oracle based system. The DBlink table has a column with type varchar2 and store the date into the following format: YYYYMMDD. I need to transform the source column date and populate into the target tables. I have tried and used different date formats but no luck. how can i achieve my goal. Please help to resolve the issue. Thanks in advance!.

Source (DBLink external table)
    ======================
    Column type varchar2 and date format is YYYYMMDD

Target table
    ======================
    Column type varchar2 and date format YYYY/MM/DD 00:00:00 and display as DD-MON-YYYY.

select substr(yourcolum,1,4) || '/' '' substr(yourcolumn,5,2) || '/' || substr(yourcolumn,7,2) || ' 00:00:00'
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB View Post
    select substr(yourcolum,1,4) || '/' '' substr(yourcolumn,5,2) || '/' || substr(yourcolumn,7,2) || ' 00:00:00'

Pablo, It works perfect!.
    Thank you so much for the help.