DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Most convenient way upgrade 10.2.0.3 to 11.2

Most convenient way upgrade 10.2.0.3 to 11.2

Hello everyone,
    I'm new in this forum and I apologize in advance if I did not choose the right section.
    I need some advice about an update.
    Currently I have a db oracle 10.2.0.3 version that runs on a windows server 2003 32bit and they asked
    me to do an upgrade to the latest version 11.2.
    I did some research on the web to look for documentation on how to do the upgrade.
    I found several solutions, but I was confused.
    Give me some advice, in broad terms, on what is the best way to update the db?
    thank you very much
    Have a nice day

Giuseppe.

You can either upgrade in place, which leaves you with no place to go back - or a more dificult way to go back - if something goes wrong or, you can create a new Ora11gR2 instance then move the data, etc by resorting to expdp from the Ora10g instance and impdp into the Ora11g one.

How big is the database?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Hello and thanks for your reply.
    The db is 60 Gb.
    Unfortunately I only have one server to the hardisk mirrored (RAID 1)
    I thought the machine off to remove a disc and use it for a quick recovery in case something does not go through.
    Clearly I have backup copies of the complete system and data exp.
    Due to these conditions what do you think the easiest way to upgrade?

If you are staying with a 32 bit database. You should get a cold backup of the database, then upgrade in place to 11.2.0.3 running 32 bit. That way if something happens you can restore your database, rather than trying to downgrade your database. Just make sure that you leave the 10.2.0.3 home around until you are certain that you don't need it.

Quote Originally Posted by gandolf989 View Post
    If you are staying with a 32 bit database. You should get a cold backup of the database, then upgrade in place to 11.2.0.3 running 32 bit. That way if something happens you can restore your database, rather than trying to downgrade your database. Just make sure that you leave the 10.2.0.3 home around until you are certain that you don't need it.
    Ok.
    Thank you very much for your reply.

If this is the first time you are upgrading, I would seriously look at DBUA (Database Upgrade Assistant). It is a GUI that will basically guide you through the upgrade with point-and-click prompts.

The general steps would be:
    1. Install 11.2.0.3 in a new Oracle Home
    2. Shutdown the database and get a cold backup.
    3. startup the database
    4. Switch oracle home to 11.2.0.3
    5. run dbua

You want to make sure you TEST the upgrade on another machine before you do it in production. Things can happen during and upgrade and you want to make sure you have a way to fix it when it goes wrong in production.
    Jeff Hunter