DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: User restrication by tablespace or partition

User restrication by tablespace or partition

I have searched all around, DBASupport as well as google. No luck. This is pretty much my requirement.

1: Schema ABC
    2: Two table spaces: 1 - ABC_US 2 - ABC_CA
    3: Tables in ABC will be partitioned (2 partitions) on Country_ID: 1 - PRTN_US 2 - PRTN_CA
    4: Partition PRTN_US goes to TS ABC_US and partition PRTN_CA goes to TS ABC_CA
    5: Data with Country_ID = 'USA' goes to PRTN_US and data with Country_ID = 'CA' goes to PRTN_CA

The main requirement is to create roles ROLE_READ_US and ROLE_READ_CA.
    Users ABC_RDR_US and ABC_RDR_CA.

Now, these users have to be restricted to their specific country data. For ex: user ABC_RDR_US should only see the data in table space ABC_US.

How can this be achieved? There is no option to assign roles by table space.

Thanks, in advance

So you want someone to show you how to create a list partitioned table and use the sys_context to filter for records from one country. For each partition you can specify a table space. Now what do I get for helping you to get a good grade?

Code:
    WHERE country_id =  CASE sys_context('USERENV', 'CURRENT_SCHEMA')
                        WHEN 'PRTN_US' THEN 'USA'
                        WHEN 'PRTN_CA' THEN 'CA'
                        ELSE 'WTF' END;
    http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/...1.htm#i1006532

http://psoug.org/reference/sys_context.html

How about couple of Buds? ; )

Thanks, gandolf989. But where and how do I implement this? Can a role be created with this WHERE clause?

A second option would be VPD (Virtual Private Database) where access is granted at row level.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

The original poster can also create a view with the filter I mentioned above and a synonym for each schema.
    Another option would be to create a view for each schema that filtered on country and then create a synonym
    for each view for its respective schema. There are a dozen ways to do this, just pick one.

It's not that I don't like bud, but you can't ship that kind of thing through the mail if you catch my drift...
    Actually, I only drink stout beer... Where is Mr. Hanky when you need him, we are venturing into his turf.