DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12c Grid Agent installation issues - Shell path is incorrect or not defined

12c Grid Agent installation issues - Shell path is incorrect or not defined

I am installing 12c Grid Control agent on my server via Enterprise manager.

The targer server is a UNIX server with AIX OS on it. I add target host manually, enter authentication information, host name, installation directory, etc. and all goes well untill I click "Deploy Agent" button, then I get the following error:

"Shell path is incorrect or not defined.:/bin/bash(SH_PATH),-c(SH_ARGS) on host MyHostName"

and details are :

"Check the property values in the following files in this order, ssPaths_.properties or
    sPaths.properties or Paths.properties, in "/u02/app/oracle/middleware/oms/oui/prov/resources"

There isn't /u02/app" directory on my target server, only /u01/app/oracle" so I assume the above directory is on the same server as Enterprise manager.

Although I did find a directory where I have files of the format ssPaths_.properties - /u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0.3/oui/prov/resources

Since my platform is AIX, I used file ssPaths_aix.properties

On my target server if I run which bash I get /usr/bin/bash and which ssh returns /usr/bin/ssh

So I edited the ssPaths_aix.properties file so that SH_PATH=/usr/bin/sh but still getting the same error. I also tried setting SH_PATH to /usr/bin/bash but nothing changed.

Can anyone help?

I am getting a similar problem under windows.

The log file shows this :-

2014-01-15_15-42-14:INFO:===VALIDATION===:Checking for Nodes Alive

2014-01-15_15-42-14:INFO:RESULT 0

2014-01-15_15-42-14:INFO:====CALLING ACTIONdoNodesAlive

2014-01-15_15-42-14:INFO:action:RemotePasswordCheckperform:true

2014-01-15_15-42-14:INFO:===VALIDATION===:Checking Password Validity on target nodes

2014-01-15_15-42-14:INFO:NODES=mydbhost.mycompany.co.uk Retry Count 5

2014-01-15_15-42-14:INFO:retry count : 1

2014-01-15_15-42-14:INFO:Running cmd C:/cygwin/bin/true.exe on node mydbhost.mycompany.co.uk

2014-01-15_15-42-14:INFO:ssh connect timeout 60000

2014-01-15_15-42-16:INFO:Exit Code : 1

2014-01-15_15-42-16:INFO:Error :

2014-01-15_15-42-16:INFO:Out:

2014-01-15_15-42-16:INFO:Checking for password validity on target nodes : PASSED

2014-01-15_15-42-16:INFO:RESULT 0
    which suggests the OEM server can access the cygwin folder and cygwin user, but then it shows this :-

2014-01-15_15-42-16:INFO:====CALLING ACTIONdoRemotePasswordCheck

2014-01-15_15-42-16:INFO:action:ShPathCheckperform:true

2014-01-15_15-42-16:INFO:===VALIDATION===:Checking SH_PATH on target nodes

2014-01-15_15-42-16:INFO:isWrongShPath:remotePathPropertiesLoc:E:/Oracle/Middleware/oms/oui/prov/resources Platform id:233

2014-01-15_15-42-16:INFO:NODES=mydbhost.mycompany.co.uk

2014-01-15_15-42-16:INFO:Running cmd C:/cygwin/bin/sh.exe -c C:/cygwin/bin/true.exe on node mydbhost.mycompany.co.uk

2014-01-15_15-42-16:INFO:Action description Execution of command C:/cygwin/bin/sh.exe -c C:/cygwin/bin/true.exe on host mydbhost.mycompany.co.uk

2014-01-15_15-42-16:INFO:Attempt :1 pty required false with no inputs

2014-01-15_15-42-17:INFO:C:/cygwin/bin/sh.exe -c C:/cygwin/bin/true.exe execution failed on host mydbhost.mycompany.co.uk

2014-01-15_15-42-17:INFO: OUT null

2014-01-15_15-42-17:INFO: ERR null

2014-01-15_15-42-17:INFO: EXIT CODE1

2014-01-15_15-42-17:INFO: ACTION Execution of command C:/cygwin/bin/sh.exe -c C:/cygwin/bin/true.exe on host mydbhost.mycompany.co.uk

2014-01-15_15-42-17:INFO:SH_PATH Error Message:C:/cygwin/bin/sh.exe(SH_PATH),-c(SH_ARGS) on host mydbhost.mycompany.co.uk

2014-01-15_15-42-17:INFO: Jsch Validation Failed Problem :Shell Path validation failed Recommendation: Check the property values in the following files in this order, ssPaths_.properties or sPaths.properties or Paths.properties, in "E:/Oracle/Middleware/oms/oui/prov/resources" directory. If the property values are correct, then ensure the login user account is enabled for remote logins.For more details, refer to the Oracle Enterprise Manager Basic Installation Guide.

which is an error in the path.

Any ideas?

Have you followed the basic checks suggested on the error message?

2014-01-15_15-42-17:INFO: Jsch Validation Failed Problem :Shell Path validation failed Recommendation: Check the property values in the following files in this order, ssPaths_.properties or sPaths.properties or Paths.properties, in "E:/Oracle/Middleware/oms/oui/prov/resources" directory. If the property values are correct, then ensure the login user account is enabled for remote logins.For more details, refer to the Oracle Enterprise Manager Basic Installation Guide.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Yes - the file ssPaths_msplats.properties exists, and in it the variable SH_PATH is defined as c:/cygwin/bin/sh.exe

That file exists on mydbhost.mycompany.co.uk and is accessible by the user (I think) I am using to do all the SSH remote stuff (a user named cyg_server, who is in the Remote Desktop, Administrators, Users and ora_dba groups).

Is "remote logins" different from "remote desktop"? Because the error and the documentation doesn't make that very clear.

I have started wondering about something - what use does oem 12c use to "add target"? Is it the currently logged in user (ie \\mydomain\me) or some random oracle user?

Turns out this was caused by a password error - the instructions I followed to install the CYGWIN server were missing a key step that involved recreating the password for the cyg_server user in /etc/passwd and as a result, it was causing the above error (which doesn't mention passwords at all!)

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    Turns out this was caused by a password error - the instructions I followed to install the CYGWIN server were missing a key step that involved recreating the password for the cyg_server user in /etc/passwd and as a result, it was causing the above error (which doesn't mention passwords at all!)
    Thank you so much for the feedback DMK - sooner or later this is going to help somebody else facing similar issue.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Update on AIX Error

Hi, Did you manage to resolve the issue?

I am facing similar issue on AIX Platform.

Regards

Workaround:
    1) Check if the shell /bin/bash is a real file or a sym link to someplace else (ie /opt/freeware/bin/bash). If it is a sym link it's possible the bash shell was not written to /etc/shells or /etc/security/login.cfg.

2) Add the shells /bin/bash and /usr/bin/bash to the /etc/shells file.

3) Run "dacontrol -d" and then "dacontrol -e"

13c Grid Agent installation issues on window

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    Yes - the file ssPaths_msplats.properties exists, and in it the variable SH_PATH is defined as c:/cygwin/bin/sh.exe

That file exists on mydbhost.mycompany.co.uk and is accessible by the user (I think) I am using to do all the SSH remote stuff (a user named cyg_server, who is in the Remote Desktop, Administrators, Users and ora_dba groups).

Is "remote logins" different from "remote desktop"? Because the error and the documentation doesn't make that very clear.
    Dear Mr. DMK
    thanks a lot for your explanation ,
    I installed oem13 on window server 2016 and when i tried to deploy agent on another windows server i get this error Shell path is incorrect or not defined .
    I installed cygwin on c:/cygwin and the file ssPaths_msplats.properties exists, and in it the variable SH_PATH is defined as c:/cygwin/bin/sh.exe.
    then I created a user named cyg_server, who is in the Remote Desktop, Administrators and ora_dba groups .
    and I recreated the password for the cyg_server user in /etc/passwd
    but after that i get the same error ,
    please advice me ,
    thanks in advance ,
    Best Regards ,