DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Newbie looking for advice

Question Newbie looking for advice

Hello everyone,

im Gigi. im new to this site. i need help and advice on how to become a dba. i dont have any experience working as a dba. i just took 3 classes of dba while i was in school and loved it. i have an associate degree in information systems, and never worked on that degree because of no experience. i know it will not be an easy path but i am willing to
    study and work hard. i just need to know how to go about it. keep in mind that i only took 3 dba classes in school. so basically my knowledge of dba work is really minimal. i know how to run queries, install oracle 10g, start and stop sql
    server, and little stuff like that. Does anyone know of an IT mentoring program to get hands on for dba? Any online
    tutorial sites? Any advice or help is appreciated. Thank you all.

You can keep taking classes. But you really need to get hired by someone. Ideally you find a Junior DBA position open, but that would be rare. Your best bet is to find a company that has a lot of Oracle DBA's and a help desk. You will have an easier time getting hired to the help desk. Which gives you time to practice relevant DBA skills like: Installing Oracle, patching, backup/recovery with rman, learning about RAC, etc. Look through tahiti.oracle.com, it is your best source for how to do anything Oracle related, and if there is an Oracle Users Group in your area join and get active. Good luck.

Hey thank you so much for the advice. It is really appreciated. I will keep you posted on my progress. Again, thank you.