DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: move database oracle 9i from old server to another server

Hybrid View

Post move database oracle 9i from old server to another server

hi
    I want to move a database old server to New Server,And the use of Gold backup from the old version of Oracle
    and ,As there are points of sale connected to the off-line database,
    how can i do that,and how i can used gold back
    i need help for thats Quickly and what steps pls
    thanks all

Post move database oracle 9i from old server to another server

hi
    I want to work formate the server and then re-install the Oracle database 9i new
    While taking a Cold backup server before work formate
    How to re-install version database as it was before the work formate Server.
    thanks.
    i need steps to do that.

Hi owise,

Your posts looked like you were asking the same question, hence I merged them. You should mention what operating system you use and how you do your backups. Since the steps will depend on what operating system you are using. You can look at http://tahiti.oracle.com to find version 9i and the install guide for your OS. You can also look at the backup and recovery guide for how to backup an Oracle database and how to restore.

It seems as though you want someone to write down all of the steps on how to be a DBA. And someone did at, http://tahiti.oracle.com.

hi gandolf989
    thanks
    i need how used the gold backup
    after i install oracle9i on server win2003,and create database 9i the same sid ,and export data
    we must saved the folder ( oradata ) on file oralce or not

Quote Originally Posted by owise View Post
    hi gandolf989
    thanks
    i need how used the gold backup
    after i install oracle9i on server win2003,and create database 9i the same sid ,and export data
    we must saved the folder ( oradata ) on file oracle or not
    What you want to do is take the backup of the data files and restore it to the same location on a different server, restore the init file, spfile and password file from the source server. and then create a new service using oradim pointing to the right spfile/initfile. You also want to create the tnsnames.ora, sqlnet.ora and listener.ora files under %ORACLE_HOME%\network\ADMIN.

That someone called a backup a "gold backup" does not tell someone else anything about the backup and how it was taken. You might try to find someone where you work, etc to help walk you through this process. There might be a video on www.youtube.com that shows you what you need to do. You are not going to find someone to walk you through everything on a forum. There are too many steps and it isn't clear which steps you need to follow without knowing your environment.