Hi people,
I am currently developing a new Oracle database and wanted to bounce a few ideas on the forum.

We currently have an application which will connect to our Oracle database. We will deal with approximately 65,000 INSERT statements a month (approx. 2166 per day,approx. 90 per hour).

I would like to share three script execution methods.

1) The script will first declare a REFCURSOR. The procedure will be executed which will execute a SELECT statement, UPDATE statement and then another SELECT statement to retrieve some results. The results will be inserted into a FUNCTION and a SELECT statement calling the FUNCTION with a RETURN value. The results from the FUNCTION will be declared in the procedure as variable OUT. From there on the results will be displayed with PRINT.

2) The script will execute the procedure which will execute a SELECT statement, UPDATE statement and then another SELECT statement to retrieve some results then display the results using dbms_output.put_line. This is my least favorite as I want to try and return the results in a grid format.

3) The script will execute the procedure which will execute a SELECT statement, UPDATE statement and then another SELECT statement to retrieve some results. The results will be inserted into a Global Temp Table (On Commit Delete Rows). A SELECT statement will be executed against the Global Temp Table to pull the results out and a COMMIT statement will be executed to clear the rows.

Please could I have some feedback from these ideas. They all work but I am looking at an idea which will return the results in a grid format.