DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Alert log access to developers

Alert log access to developers

Dear all,

I've recently been promoted as DBA by my current employer, and in some databases there are external tables on the Alert Log!

According to the PM, that's a way to see why some jobs fail (when the exception is not caught in the job).

I've never seen developers access the alert log of a database, so I find that real weird...

Does anyone know which the recommended Oracle practices about Alert Log access?

Thank you very much

Hard to take back an already open can of tuna from the cats; you know, cat (and developers) can be very protective of what they have already gotten.

Out of curiosity, are the external tables filtering particular ORA- events?

Answering your direct question, I do not think Oracle has a particular best practice recommendation about not allowing developers to see it. I know, I know... a bunch of non-DBA looking at the alertlog can be an annoyance, I feel for you.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

if it's just to see job errors you can try migrate jobs using dbms_scheduler, scheduler jobs I believe store their errors in *_SCHEDULER_JOB_RUN_DETAILS

regards