DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How To Change Default XML Storage

How To Change Default XML Storage

Hello,

As per the bellow the default XML storage has been changed in 11gr2.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/...2/whatsnew.htm

Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (11.2.0.2) New Features in Oracle XML DB

The following Oracle XML DB features are new in Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (11.2.0.2).

Default Storage Model for XMLType

The default XMLType storage model is used if you do not specify a storage model when you create an XMLType table or column. Prior to Oracle Database 11g Release 2 (11.2.0.2), unstructured (CLOB) storage was used by default. The default storage model is now binary XML storage.
    We have a application which works fine on r1 but not on r2 due to this change, we are going to investigate resolving the issue on the application in the future, in the mean time we need to be able to use the CLOB storage.

Does any one know where we can change this functionality back to the pre 11gR2 change?

thanks
    Luke

Quote Originally Posted by XMLTYPE View Post
    Hello,

As per the bellow the default XML storage has been changed in 11gr2.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/...2/whatsnew.htm

We have a application which works fine on r1 but not on r2 due to this change, we are going to investigate resolving the issue on the application in the future, in the mean time we need to be able to use the CLOB storage.

Does any one know where we can change this functionality back to the pre 11gR2 change?
    I think this is an option to be specified at table creation time, like:

CREATE TABLE MYXMLTABLE OF XMLType
    XMLTYPE store AS CLOB;
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

PAVB, that sounds right to me. Last spring I was responsible for a particularly painful migration of a database from Solaris to Linux where the customer relied on XML type columns based on XSD schema's. they "didn't have" the source XML schemas, so I tried to reverse engineer them and only with two weeks left before cut over did they give me what I needed. IMHO, I would think that using CLOB and having the front end manage the XML schema would be easier then letting Oracle do it.