DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: GUI interface and TNSlistner

Arrow

I have installed a 7.3.2 database on an NT4 SP6 box. I then imported a database using data manager. Everything eventually went fine. But when I try to log into instance manager(GUI) or backup manager(GUI) as system and connect as sysdba I get the oracle error that I have insufficient privileges. I am able to log in as system and connect as "normal" or "sysoper" and everything is fine under one of thoes roles. I would like to be able to start/stop the instance from the GUI. Do I need to grant system a special privilege in svrmgrl to fully operate the GUI?

I set this box up in the comfort of my home, and everything went fine. When I took it to the office it will eventually live in and swapped it with the production box the TNSlistner service would not start?! I got a windows error. The TNS file It was set up with (in my home) is a copy of the one currently on the porduction box in the same office. In control Panel/services what should the 4 oracle services startup parameter be (ie. manual or automatic)
    Douglas Carter
    dougc@realtimeperformance.com

As to your first concern, try logging on as internal with sysdba. This works for me, whereas system will not.

internal has sysdba provileges by default.
    If you are able to login as 'internal", you can grant the "sysdba" privilege to any user you want so --

SVRMGR> connect internal
    Password: ****
    Connected.
    SVRMGR> grant sysdba to system;
    Statement processed.
    SVRMGR>

Now "system" should be able to login as sysdba;

This information is stored in the Password file so I am assuming that you have a password file already created (in oracle_home\database directory); If not then create one by running ORAPWD at the DOS prompt.

- Rajeev