DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Move Database from 10.2.0.2 to 11.2.0.1 on NEW SERVER

Move Database from 10.2.0.2 to 11.2.0.1 on NEW SERVER

Hello everyone and thank you in advance for any help ..

I need to Move Database from 10.2.0.2 to 11.2.0.1 on NEW SERVER

I am beginer in DBA Administration and I will try to explain my situation in my company.

Well I have:
    - Two physical servers with Win 2008 R2 x64
    - Oracle Database 10.2.0.2 x86
    - The size of the database up to 10 GB
    - Replication is working on a script level with archivelog think i something like Data Guard or it is.. because I did not install this from begining.. I get this when I get job..
    - SSID VIZRTDB a schema PILOT

In my company I deal more with system and network administration, and there I began now to work around this part of the DBA I can say that I am already comfortable with oracle database.. but here I stumbled on a problem, so I do not know where to start and who to ask..

In a virtual environment I install the same as I have on physical server, only now I install Oracle 11.2.0.1 and Win 2008 R2 x64, and I made all the replication and which is identical to the production servers ..
    The idea is to export the database to 10.2.0.2 from production server and then imports it into 11.2.0.1 and I have already tried but I have a lot of mistakes at the end of the importa .. I tried the classic Imort / Export, and I will try to Impdb / Expdb (Data Pump) .. a lot of mistake like some stuff already exist etc..

I think the question is what is best to do with the data pump or with some other tool to import database on new server 11.2.0.1? I mean what do you think is the best procedurally to do ..

Since the moment I have two physical servers and is really complicated to do any upgrades, etc..
    Can I install on this two physical servers VMware Workstation software, and then on separate server I will have two virtual oracle databases so I can always move image and try upgrade, patch etc...
    Does this create a problem around the base of the network that will be somewhat slower, response, etc? .. Because as you see I work in television and I dont really no day that I can say that they can shut down the base for more than 4 hours ..
    Thanks in advance.

Greetings.

1- Install Ora11g on new server - I undertand you already did this.
    2- Pre Create database on target server including Users and Roles - creating exactly the same tablespace will make it easier.
    3- expdp schema(s) that you want to migrate from old server
    4- impdb into new server

If you are getting errors showing that some object already exist then you have executed the process twice without cleaning up database in new server.

If you have to do it again, drop cascade users on NEW server, re created users in NEW server then try again the impdp process.

The beauty of it all is that for a 10GB database you probably can do this ten or twelve times in a single day until you get it right.
    Last edited by PAVB; 07-26-2012 at 09:07 AM. Reason: typo
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Do not use full=Y option in import, import your application schemas only. The already existing errors may be due to SYSTEM schema objects.

If you are going from Windows to Windows, why don't you just install 10g on the new server, set it up as a standby, sync the logs until you are ready to upgrade the database, then shutdown the applications to the primary, do a log switch and shut down the old production database, make sure the 10g standby on the new server is up to date, activate the standby and run dbua to upgrade that database to 11g.

The advantage of this method is that depending on the size of the database, the downtime might be much less than waiting for an export to run, then move the export file across the network and import into a new server. It should not matter that you are going from Windows 2000 to 2008. If you are going from 32 bit to 64 bit you will want to make sure that dbua can change the database from 32bit to 64 bit. i.e. you should do an end to end test of the upgrade before the final cut over.