DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to change the NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET from WE8ISO8859P1 to AL16UTF16 ?

Unhappy How to change the NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET from WE8ISO8859P1 to AL16UTF16 ?

Hi,

My customer have an Oracle9i. (in Brazil).

I already loaded all the data that I need, and I have problem with the Brazilian character accentuation.

The data with accentuation in the database are stored correctly, (I can see it fine using a SELECT manually in SQLPLUS or TOAD)

But I built a xHarbour program to access it and the accentuation appears bad in the screen (dos windows) (crazy characters appears).

I already was created another Oracle9i database in my notebook and I can see the characters with accentuation fine, therefore I have only accentuation problems when run my xHarbour program against the database of mu customer.

I noticed that the NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET in the database of my customer is set to WE8ISO8859P1.

I my local Oracle9i Database, the NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET is set to AL16UTF16

I believe this is the problem.!!

My question is:

How to change the NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET f
    rom WE8ISO8859P1 to AL16UTF16 ?

This change could cause problems in other programs?

Please, see the attached picture.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cqsbioq5nw...20Settings.PNG

Thanks in advance,

Luigggye

If doing a select on the base tables you see the data correctly then the database is Okay and you should not touch it.

I do not know what xHarbour is but this appears to be a front-end issue - data is Okay on the backend a.k.a. database but shows ugly on the front-end then, look at the front end.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thanks for your response.

Your response is logic, but pay attention that my customer have 3 others Oracle9i Servers (Windows Server 2003) configured with NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET=AL16UTF16, and working against this servers I can see the Brasilian characters "fine" from the xHarbour client program. (xHabour is similiar to the Clipper lenguage with functions to connect to Oracle)

I have problems with Brazilian characters when working "only" against the server configured with NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET = WE8ISO8859P1 (My customer have just one Oracle9i Server configured with NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET = WE8ISO8859P1.

All the other Oracle9i servers are configured with NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET = AL16UTF16 (since the database creation), and I have not problems with this servers.

So, my question is:

How to change the NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET from WE8ISO8859P1 to AL16UTF16 in Oracle9i ?

I believe is something like ALTER SESSION, ALTER DATABASE, etc, but I am not sure. I want to make this change permanently.

Could you help me with this, please?

Thanks in advance,

Luigggye