DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Processes Parameter

Hybrid View

Question Oracle Processes Parameter

Hello All,

In my Oracle 11g Database is set processes=150, but some times its shwing error like,

ORA-00020: maximum number of processes (150) exceeded

So i am planning to alter processes parameter to 300.

Is there any DB performance if i set processes=300.

Logically waht will happen if i set processes to 300.

Regards,

It all depends on the utilization of the db and the resources. There are some parameter values that gets derived from the process setting. You may want to look into it and see it they are likely to cause any problem(s). Then the next would be to watch your memory consumptions. Then you would want to look into your kernel settings to see if they are adequate.

These are some of the surface checks.

Golden suggestion, try it in dev first

Thanx,
    Sam
    Thanx
    Sam

Life is a journey, not a destination!

You might also want to check with Application folks about the connection pooling.If they are not clearing off the connections after then even 3000 sessions will not work.

Quote Originally Posted by hkravipati.dba View Post
    In my Oracle 11g Database is set processes=150, but some times its shwing error like,

ORA-00020: maximum number of processes (150) exceeded

So i am planning to alter processes parameter to 300.

Is there any DB performance if i set processes=300.

Logically waht will happen if i set processes to 300.
    Firstly... determine where the limit was reached because the application actually requires in excess of 150 process or because something went wrong and connections/processes got never released.

Either way, 150 processes is a very low number.

Please remember that PROCESSES goes hand-to-hand with SESSIONS parameter - research how they relate to each other.

What would logically happen if processes is set to 300?... Oracle will allow as many as 300 processes :-)
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.