DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle 10g on Windows 7 64-bit machine

Oracle 10g on Windows 7 64-bit machine

Hi,

I am not a DBA but since the DBA in our team is out sick and this is urgent I thought this forum could help me. I tried to install oracle 10g on my PC which has windows 7 64bit OS. My first question is that when we install oracle client on any machine is an entry made in windows registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ORACLE
    Because there is no such entry on my machine. Is that a red flag?
    Also, when I installed oracle client from the CD, there was no TNSNAMES.ora file created by default in the ADMIN folder. I went and placed one in there. Is a default file always created the first time we install the client?

Secondly, when I try to connect crsytal reports 2008 to oracle, it throws the ORA 12154 error.

Please help!!

I understand you are intalling Oracle client in that machine, is that correct?

Have you set ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID before attempting the connection?

Can you PING the target database server?

Can you TNSPING the target database?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Yes I am able to TNS PING the target database. Where do I need to set ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID and what should their entries be?

If you haven't found so far, you need to set the environment variables in system variables area.

Right click on My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced -> Environment Variables -> Syatem Variables

Regards,
    Vijay Tummala

Try hard to get what you like OR you will be forced to like what you get.