Installation of Oracle 10g

I have installed the Oracle 10g at the following location : -
    C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\NETWORK\ADMIN

But I was trying to ping Oracle Client from Command Prompt. See Below : -
    c:\Oracle>tnsping SONIA
    ERROR IS COMING no listener

MINE tnsnames.ora File : -

Code:
    # tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

SONIA =
      (DESCRIPTION =
        (ADDRESS_LIST =
          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = sonia)(PORT = 1521))
        )
        (CONNECT_DATA =
          (SERVICE_NAME = SONIA)
        )
      )
    What this error means??? Help me in connecting to the ORACLE 10g.
    I have studied on the net that for Oracle to connect three ora files need to be there. But in my ADMIN Folder two files are created by Oracle Configuration Tools names SqlNet.ORA , TNSNAMES.ORA. LISTENER.ORA file is not created.

Client?

Have you installed Oracle Client or Oracle Server?

If Oracle Server was installed, did you create a database? did you setup listener and started both the database and the listener?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

I have installed the Oracle Client ?? Do we need to install the Oracle Client & Oracle Server both???

Can you please give me the link from where to download Oracle Server 10g. Moreover, I have the exe named ODTwithODAC1020221.exe --> THIS IS THE ORACLE SERVER 10g ?????

Why Ora10g?
    Please find Ora11g sofware downloads on link next http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/da...ds/index.html; you may have to create OTN credentials which are free.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

I have installed the oracle 11g database server. Now when I am tryygin to PING, See Below : -
    Code:
    C:\Oracle>tnsping SONIA
    I get the following message.
    Use HOSTNAME Adapter to resolve the alias.
    Attempting tp contact >
    OK <20 msec>
    I think so, oracle is working Now, If I am not wrong. But I am not getting where to write the QUERY to CREATE TABLE.

Good job. Successfull tnsping means your Oracle software appears to be fine and an Oracle instance a.k.a. database SID=SONIA is up-and-running.

To have access to your database use sqlplus (if you like a character based interface) or sqldeveloper if you like a GUI interface. SQLDeveloper is a free Oracle product, you can download and install as it pleases you.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

I have installed SQL Developer, but dont know SQL Plus is also installed.

In SQL Plus User Name :- SYS . What is the Default Password & Host String to get into the database?

Uff This Oracle will Kill Me One Day. I am not able to create table in ORACLE from last so many days...UFF.
    I have executed the foll. statements in command Prompt . CREATE TABLE is giving me the ERROR - no privileges on tablespace 'SYSTEM'
    Code:
    SQL> SHOW USER
    USER is "SONIA"
    SQL>

SQL> SELECT username,privilege FROM USER_SYS_PRIVS;

USERNAME                       PRIVILEGE
    ------------------------------ ----------------------------------------
    SONIA                          CREATE SESSION
    SONIA                          CREATE TABLE

SQL> CREATE TABLE CUSTOMER(CustID Number(5) Primary Key, CustName Varchar(20));
    CREATE TABLE CUSTOMER(CustID Number(5) Primary Key, CustName Varchar(20))
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-01950: no privileges on tablespace 'SYSTEM'

Quote Originally Posted by sonia_1985 View Post
    Uff This Oracle will Kill Me One Day. I am not able to create table in ORACLE from last so many days...UFF.
    I have executed the foll. statements in command Prompt . CREATE TABLE is giving me the ERROR - no privileges on tablespace 'SYSTEM'
    Code:
    SQL> SHOW USER
    USER is "SONIA"
    SQL>

SQL> SELECT username,privilege FROM USER_SYS_PRIVS;

USERNAME                       PRIVILEGE
    ------------------------------ ----------------------------------------
    SONIA                          CREATE SESSION
    SONIA                          CREATE TABLE

SQL> CREATE TABLE CUSTOMER(CustID Number(5) Primary Key, CustName Varchar(20));
    CREATE TABLE CUSTOMER(CustID Number(5) Primary Key, CustName Varchar(20))
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-01950: no privileges on tablespace 'SYSTEM'
    You don't want to create user objects like a tale in SYSTEM tablespace.

Create a tablespace for your stuff, grant privs on it to SONIA, set that tablespace as the default tablespace for user SONIA then create your table :-)
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov