Installation of Oracle 10g

I have installed the Oracle 10g at the following location : -
    C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\NETWORK\ADMIN

But I was trying to ping Oracle Client from Command Prompt. See Below : -
    c:\Oracle>tnsping SONIA
    ERROR IS COMING no listener

MINE tnsnames.ora File : -

Code:
    # tnsnames.ora Network Configuration File: C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\client_1\network\admin\tnsnames.ora
    # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.

SONIA =
      (DESCRIPTION =
        (ADDRESS_LIST =
          (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = sonia)(PORT = 1521))
        )
        (CONNECT_DATA =
          (SERVICE_NAME = SONIA)
        )
      )
    What this error means??? Help me in connecting to the ORACLE 10g.
    I have studied on the net that for Oracle to connect three ora files need to be there. But in my ADMIN Folder two files are created by Oracle Configuration Tools names SqlNet.ORA , TNSNAMES.ORA. LISTENER.ORA file is not created.

Client?

Have you installed Oracle Client or Oracle Server?

If Oracle Server was installed, did you create a database? did you setup listener and started both the database and the listener?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

I have installed the Oracle Client ?? Do we need to install the Oracle Client & Oracle Server both???

Can you please give me the link from where to download Oracle Server 10g. Moreover, I have the exe named ODTwithODAC1020221.exe --> THIS IS THE ORACLE SERVER 10g ?????

Why Ora10g?
    Please find Ora11g sofware downloads on link next http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/da...ds/index.html; you may have to create OTN credentials which are free.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

I have installed the oracle 11g database server. Now when I am tryygin to PING, See Below : -
    Code:
    C:\Oracle>tnsping SONIA
    I get the following message.
    Use HOSTNAME Adapter to resolve the alias.
    Attempting tp contact >