DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: create table while logged in as sysdba

create table while logged in as sysdba

Hi, I am creating a table while being logged as sysdba and it gets created in sys tablespace. What wrong with my user ?

i.e sqlplus aztest/aztest as sysdba

Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.1.0.7.0 - 64bit Production
    PL/SQL Release 11.1.0.7.0 - Production
    CORE 11.1.0.7.0 Production
    TNS for Solaris: Version 11.1.0.7.0 - Production
    NLSRTL Version 11.1.0.7.0 - Production

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zam View Post
    Hi, I am creating a table while being logged as sysdba and it gets created in sys tablespace. What wrong with my user ?

i.e sqlplus aztest/aztest as sysdba

Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.1.0.7.0 - 64bit Production
    PL/SQL Release 11.1.0.7.0 - Production
    CORE 11.1.0.7.0 Production
    TNS for Solaris: Version 11.1.0.7.0 - Production
    NLSRTL Version 11.1.0.7.0 - Production

Thanks
    I guess you didn't include the TABLESPACE option on your CREATE TABLE statement; don't you?

By the way - there is no reason to log as SYSDBA to create a table; SYSDBA is a powerful set of privileges needed in very specific cases.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thanks PAVB. Yes I have not specified tablespace. But my Q is not about whether to use sysdba for that or not. I am asking is it a default behavior in11g ? I know that in 10g table will be created in user default tablespace of the user.

When you connect as SYSDBA you default schema becomes SYS - do a "select user from dual"; therefore you are SYS not aztest.

On a totally unrelated note, just spotted an ugly typo on my first reply, referring to SYSDBA I said "account", be kind enough to read "system privilege" - Thank you.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Sorry PAVB, I didn't mean to be rude. What I was saying is that this is not the case in 10g as far as I can tell. If you create table logged in as sysdba it will create table in the schema of the aztest user and not in sys schema as opposed to 11g.

No worries Zam.
    On the other hand, I'm pretty sure Ora10g behaves exactly the same way; if you connect as SYSDBA no matter which credentials you are using, default schema gets switched to SYS.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

You can specify a default tablespace for each user in 10g, you should make sure that something other than system is the default tablespace overall and for the user that you are creating the table for. If I create a table for another schema using sys as sysdba it should go to the default tablespace for that user.

Agreed Gandolf but I think poster did something different, like:
    sqlplus aztest/aztest as sysdba
    create table mytable (col1 number);
    Zam, please correct me if wrong.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov