DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to correctly grant privileges and permissions in 11g

How to correctly grant privileges and permissions in 11g

Hi

I have a 11g database, where under one user, which has full privileges, etc, I created a table and stored procedure.

However, the table and store procedure will be accessed and executed by another. Therefore, I used the grant command to this other user permissions to execute the stored procedure and to insert on the table.

The problem being I do not feel that I have set this up correctly because when I log into SQLPLUS as this other user, I can still run the select command, which I felt it would block me in doing.

So, can someone explain to me in simple terms how do I correctly set up a user who can insert only into a table and execute the stored procedure for running the insert command?

Thanks

Either the "other user" has "select any table" system privilege granted to it or select privilege on target table was granted to "public".
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

When I created the user it only had insert on to that table and execute on the stored procedure. I never granted select on the table where I only wanted that user to have insert on it.

When you create a user through Oracle Enterprise Manager does it set any defaults? Because this is how I created the user.

How about "select" privilege to "public" on the table?... such a privilege would allow "any" user to select from it.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

I will have to check EM, but I do not recall seeing this on table, because I only set insert on the table for that user. Is there anything else that you could suggest?

Check DBA_TAB_PRIVS, DBA_ROLE_PRIVS and DBA_SYS_PRIVS system views.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

Where do I find those views in the EM, and further, you mentioned that if the table is set to public where do I check to see where this is set, and how do I amend it?

Thanks

sqlplus... use sqlplus. You find everything you need on the three system views I mentioned.

In regards to the second part of the question... revoke is what you use to take away unwanted granted privileges.
    Last edited by PAVB; 02-26-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: typo
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Thanks for all your help.

Have it all fixed now.