DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: interpreting v$session_longops

interpreting v$session_longops

Problem Description:
    I am running parallel insert statement querying data from other tables. The performance is very slow.

The record count is almost 900K

No intermin commit is in place

Parallel Max Server is set to 24

Investigation:

I tried to look into v$session_longops and here is the query and the output which I had received within 5 mnts from the time I started running the insert statement. But the statement is still running.

select * from (select opname, target, sofar, totalwork, units, elapsed_seconds, message from v$session_longops
    where sid in(select sid from v$session where username ='Goozy') order by start_time desc)
    where rownum <=1;

SQL> /

OPNAME TARGET SOFAR TOTALWORK UNITS ELAPSED_SECONDS MESSAGE
    -------------------- ---------- ---------- ---------- ---------- --------------- --------------------------------------------------
    Table Scan Goozy 17512 17512 Blocks 7 Table Scan: Goozy.REQUEST: 17
    512 out of 17512 Blocks done

I am condused with the result of sofar and total work. If within 5 mnts it shows 17512 sofar is done for total work of 17512, then why the script os still running?

Or am I missing anything?

Regards
    sumit

Not everything shows up on v$session_longops, there are some restrictions to it.

When quering v$session_longops use both SID and SERIAL# otherwise you may be looking at an "old" long operation coming from the same SID.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.