DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Limitations of Database links

Ok, thanks a lot for ur input.
    Regards,

divroro12

I think I did misinform you guys. Actually, the dblink is on the laptops, not on the server, & all laptop users use the same schema for the processing b/w laptop & database server.
    The link is defined on each of the laptops as follows:

CREATE PUBLIC DATABASE LINK
    CONNECT TO
    IDENTIFIED BY
    USING '(DESCRIPTION =(ADDRESS =(PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = (CONNECT_DATA =(SERVICE_NAME =
    Regards,

divroro12

CREATE PUBLIC DATABASE LINK
    CONNECT TO
    IDENTIFIED BY
    USING '(DESCRIPTION =(ADDRESS =(PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = (CONNECT_DATA =(SERVICE_NAME =
    Regards,

divroro12

all database links are done on the server, not on clients

Quote Originally Posted by davey23uk View Post
    all database links are done on the server, not on clients
    True.
    Having said that, I understand that in this particular case "clients" are fully functional Ora10g instances.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

You're right PavB, all "Clients" in this case are actually standalone Oracle 10.2.0.4 instances.
    Regards,

divroro12

Thanks for your input PavB
    Regards,

divroro12

PavB, would you know if there are any concurrency limitations to using a single dblink, i.e. using a single dblink as against using multiple dblinks for network traffic distribution?
    Regards,

divroro12

Since client databases are not connected all the time I do not think it is a good idea to have dblink definitions on the central database side but on the client database side.

Having said that, "client database" dblinks will be hitting whichever listener was setup on the central database - the closer the connection gets to the central database in terms of network the more dense the "client" traffic will be - very little you can do to avoid this but this is just how it works for every and all clients that connect to the database.

In terms of limitations, I remember there is a parameter that sets a limit on the number of remote databases a particular session can reach over dblinks - on the top of my mind the default value is 4 or something like that but I do not think it applies here where connections will be one-to-one.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

SQL> show parameter open_links;

NAME TYPE VALUE
    ------------------------------------ -----------
    ------------------------------
    open_links integer 4
    open_links_per_instance integer 4

That's the default value, but I know it can be increased, to what max value, I'm not sure yet.
    Regards,

divroro12