DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 11g Active DG and FSFO

11g Active DG and FSFO

Hi All,

I was reading Oracle docs about 11g Active DG and Fast Start Fail Over and there were some points I am not 100% clear.

1. I am thinking to use 11g Active DG + FSFO to off load reporting, queries and backup. From the document I read, it only said about we can use Active database for FAST incremental backup. Can we use Active DG database to run full backup so we won't impact the primary DB?
    2. Any issues with Read consistency? and if there is an issue with Read consistency, then should we worry about the backup if active DG is being used to run full backup?
    3. Can we have two standby: one is Active DG (different server in the same data center) for HA (instance crashed) and off load read only query. Another one is standby databse (different region) for site failure? Any potential impact or complication?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by matthew00 View Post
    1. Can we use Active DG database to run full backup so we won't impact the primary DB?
    Yes.
    2. Any issues with Read consistency? and if there is an issue with Read consistency, then should we worry about the backup if active DG is being used to run full backup?
    No, only issue is delay in apply logs.
    3. Can we have two standby: one is Active DG (different server in the same data center) for HA (instance crashed) and off load read only query. Another one is standby databse (different region) for site failure? Any potential impact or complication?
    Yes, lookup: "Cascaded Destinations" in the fine Oracle® Data Guard Concepts and Administration manual.
    No impact/complication.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

thanks so much for your prompt reply.