DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tablespace/datafile question

Tablespace/datafile question

Oracle 9i question

I have a store system database (the database contains items, store setup, statistics and transactional data). The application that is getting the data from this database is having som problems getting the items (also changing the data). Some items come up straight away, others need 2-3 minutes to come up.

There are probably many things that could be the problem, but since I am fairly new to Oracle i am wondering if the problem coud be with the tablespace/ datafiles. The user_data tablespace is about 80GB divided on 40 datafiles. There is space available in the tablespace / datafiles.

My question is basically if the number of datafiles in the tablespace could be an issue, since the Items table is probably divided amongst all of the datafiles?

Cool

If you think it's the tablespaces/files, it may be some file(s) are "autoextending".

To avoid this issue, pre-allocate enough space so you have at least 20-30% free space in each of the user tablespaces.

If this does not fix your issue, then you may need to execute an statspack report to figure out what is going on in your database.

Good luck!
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by dagger71 View Post
    Oracle 9i question

I have a store system database (the database contains items, store setup, statistics and transactional data). The application that is getting the data from this database is having som problems getting the items (also changing the data). Some items come up straight away, others need 2-3 minutes to come up.

There are probably many things that could be the problem, but since I am fairly new to Oracle i am wondering if the problem coud be with the tablespace/ datafiles. The user_data tablespace is about 80GB divided on 40 datafiles. There is space available in the tablespace / datafiles.

My question is basically if the number of datafiles in the tablespace could be an issue, since the Items table is probably divided amongst all of the datafiles?
    No. You are looking in the wrong place

Have you ran an explain plan on offending query and check if there is a performance issue related to execution plan?
    Have you reviewed indexing strategy for offending query?
    Have you ran a 10046 trace on offending query and check where time is spent?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.