DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: putting a select statement in a trigger

putting a select statement in a trigger

I'm trying to use as select statment in a trigger to get info into another table when an update occurs on the table with the trigger, along with a couple constants. I can't get the pl/sql to work, any ideas on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

if (updating and ld.term_date <> :new.term_date) then
    insert into employee_change (company, employee, emp_status, first_name, last_name, middle_init, nick_name, birthdate, sex, adj_hire_date, date_hired, wk_phone_nbr, wk_phone_ext, pager, email_address, term_date, typeofchange, change_dt, field_changed )
    values (SELECT a.company,
    a.employee,
    a.EMP_STATUS,
    a.FIRST_NAME,
    a.LAST_NAME,
    a.MIDDLE_INIT,
    a.NICK_NAME,
    test.PAEMPLOYEE.BIRTHDATE,
    test.PAEMPLOYEE.SEX,
    a.ADJ_HIRE_DATE,
    a.DATE_HIRED,
    test.PAEMPLOYEE.WK_PHONE_NBR,
    test.PAEMPLOYEE.WK_PHONE_EXT,
    test.hrcontnbr.PHONE AS Pager,
    a.EMAIL_ADDRESS,
    a.term_date
    FROM test.EMPLOYEE a JOIN test.PAEMPLOYEE ON a.COMPANY = test.PAEMPLOYEE.COMPANY AND a.EMPLOYEE=test.PAEMPLOYEE.EMPLOYEE
    left outer join test.HRCONTNBR on a.company = test.HRCONTNBR.COMPANY AND a.EMPLOYEE = test.HRCONTNBR.ID_NBR, 'U', sysdate, 'term_date');
    end if;

further info

My real problem is getting info from two other tables. I could just use
    values (ld.company, ld.employee, etc. for the info from the table that the trigger is on (test.employee), but how would I get the info from the other two tables?
    Thanks very much for any ideas.

Unfortunatelly you forgot to show the trigger definition.

Query appears not to reference any value on trigger affected table - other tables in query should be references as in any normal query.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Is it just a syntax problem then? Thanks!

CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER DMCMILLAN.test_change_employee
    AFTER INSERT OR UPDATE
    ON TEST.EMPLOYEE
    REFERENCING NEW AS New OLD AS Old
    FOR EACH ROW

/******************************************************************************
    NAME: test_change_employee
    PURPOSE:

REVISIONS:
    Ver Date Author Description
    --------- ---------- --------------- ------------------------------------
    1.0 10/13/2011 dmcmillan 1. Created this trigger.

NOTES:

Automatically available Auto Replace Keywords:
    Object Name: test_change_employee
    Sysdate: 10/13/2011
    Date and Time: 10/13/2011, 12:52:18 PM, and 10/13/2011 12:52:18 PM
    Username: dmcmillan (set in TOAD Options, Proc Templates)
    Table Name: EMPLOYEE (set in the "New PL/SQL Object" dialog)
    Trigger Options: (set in the "New PL/SQL Object" dialog)
    ******************************************************************************/
    BEGIN
    if inserting then
    insert into employee_change (company, employee, emp_status, first_name, last_name, middle_init, nick_name, adj_hire_date, date_hired, email_address, typeofchange, change_dt)
    values (:new.company, :new.employee, :new.emp_status, :new.first_name, :new.last_name, :new.middle_init, :new.nick_name, :new.adj_hire_date, :new.date_hired, :new.email_address, 'I', sysdate);
    end if;

if (updating and ld.last_name <> :new.last_name) then
    insert into employee_change (company, employee, emp_status, first_name, last_name, middle_init, nick_name, adj_hire_date, date_hired, email_address, term_date, birthdate, sex, wk_phone_nbr, wk_phone_ext, pager, typeofchange, change_dt, field_changed )
    values (ld.company, ld.employee, ld.EMP_STATUS, ld.FIRST_NAME, :new.LAST_NAME, ld.MIDDLE_INIT, ld.NICK_NAME, ld.ADJ_HIRE_DATE, ld.DATE_HIRED, ld.EMAIL_ADDRESS, ld.term_date,
    (select ('ld.birthdate') from test.employee, test.paemployee where test.employee.COMPANY = test.PAEMPLOYEE.COMPANY AND test.employee.EMPLOYEE=test.PAEMPLOYEE.EMPLOYEE),
    (select SEX from test.EMPLOYEE a JOIN test.PAEMPLOYEE ON test.employee.COMPANY = test.PAEMPLOYEE.COMPANY AND test.employee.EMPLOYEE=test.PAEMPLOYEE.EMPLOYEE),
    (select WK_PHONE_NBR FROM test.EMPLOYEE a JOIN test.PAEMPLOYEE ON a.COMPANY = test.PAEMPLOYEE.COMPANY AND a.EMPLOYEE=test.PAEMPLOYEE.EMPLOYEE),
    (select WK_PHONE_EXT FROM test.EMPLOYEE a JOIN test.PAEMPLOYEE ON a.COMPANY = test.PAEMPLOYEE.COMPANY AND a.EMPLOYEE=test.PAEMPLOYEE.EMPLOYEE),
    (select PHONE AS Pager FROM test.EMPLOYEE a left outer join test.HRCONTNBR on a.company = test.HRCONTNBR.COMPANY AND a.EMPLOYEE = test.HRCONTNBR.ID_NBR),
    'U', sysdate, 'last_name');
    end if;

END test_change_employee;

/

Yes. Just a syntax/logic issue.

I'll suggest to test "insert" query alone, once it works it will work inside the trigger.

By the way, this trigger will add a lot of overhead - hope table doesn't get a lot of insert/updates.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

The insert works ok, but it isn't connecting to the other two tables. I think that's my problem. I'm missing something I need to do to select from the other tables.
    And you are right, it won't run very often.
    Thanks!