DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: deleting schema's??

Hi,
    I am trying to clean up my database. I would like to remove
    all unnecessary schema's from (none)system tablespaces.

I found these schema's in (none)system tablespaces(CTXSYS,MDSYS,ORDSYS,OUTLN), and I was wondering what r they and if I can delete them. Also why SYSTEM is using
    system and tools tablespaces.

schema------table_name-------tablespace
    ---------------------------------------------
    CTXSYS ---> DR$----------------DRSYS
    MDSYS----->MD$,CS_SRS------SYSTEM
    ORDSYS--->ORD_---------------SYSTEM
    OUTLN----->OL$,OL$HINTS-----SYSTEM
    SYSTEM---->!!!!!-----------------SYSTEM,TOOLS
    SYS-------->!!!!!------------------SYSTEM

THANKS,

I suggest you leave these schemas just the way they are.

I believe the only schema you want in the SYSTEM tablespace is SYS (you should check your users temporary tablespaces as well - they should all be in TEMP). We have our System in TOOLS. I believe OUTLN, DBSNMP are part of interMedia and should go in DRSYS. Check out note: 1015980.102 which explains why DR$ indexes show up in SYSTEM tablespace - the index in SYSTEM tablespace takes no storage.

Since I'm relatively new to Oracle I'll definitely defer to Halo. Curious though, our Oracle consultant advised us to keep all schemas but SYS out of the SYSTEM tablespace - overkill?

It depends on whats options you want to use. I had a tar on the same(not exactly same issue, but implications of changing default users pwds as a part of hack proofing our databases) with oracle. They were not sure, Finally they said to save the default pwds and change 'em. In case you want to use that option in future, it may not work though you reset the pwd using 'alter user' syntax. You have to run the saved passwords script to put 'em back. Thats what metalink says. Follow this interesting link for further information.

[url]http://www.orafaq.org/faqdbase.htm#DEFUSERS[/url]