DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Backup & Recovery tools

Backup & Recovery tools

Hello,

Currently we have a robust backup scripts to backup our entire databases. The shell scripts work well, however our environment is growing rapidly so I am looking at a vendor based backup & recovery tool.

Are there any suggestions for a b&R software from those who are using (or have used one).

Please suggest.

Thankyou

One of the vendor based backup tool is veritas netbackup.
    Thanks/Gopu

Quote Originally Posted by badrinathn View Post
    Currently we have a robust backup scripts to backup our entire databases. The shell scripts work well, however our environment is growing rapidly so I am looking at a vendor based backup & recovery tool.

Are there any suggestions for a b&R software from those who are using (or have used one).
    How about RMAN?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Quote Originally Posted by PAVB View Post
    How about RMAN?
    Aren't they really two different things? We are looking at using Veritas Netbackup with RMAN. As far as I know, I will only need to change our backup scripts to point to the Veritas client and ultimately the Netbackup device, rather than the NFS volumes that we currently use. RMAN will backup a database, but even with RMAN, you need some way to send backups offsite and maintain the backup retentions.

So yes, Netbackup with RMAN would work fine, or so I am told.