DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to add a 'failed' node back into Failsafe?

How to add a 'failed' node back into Failsafe?

We have a 2 node cluster using Oracle failsafe and 1 node completly failed. It was the passive node. This node had to be rebuilt. what are the steps to re-introduce it to the cluster?

At the moment Oracle failsafe has a 'RED CROSS' for this node. Do I need to remove this node first? If so, how? As it is a 2 node cluster, what will happen once I remove the node?

The original node is LIVE so I don't want to disrupt the service. I have tried the Oracle Failsafe documentation and tuturial but this focuses on Installing and configuring failsafe.

Thanks. Regards, Sheryl

what is the problem with passive node? did you find any error information? Is this OS / cluster problem or Oracle problem?

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

Try hard to get what you like OR you will be forced to like what you get.

The whole server went, completely dead. We had to buy a new server.
    Rgds. Sheryl

okay, then let your system admin build the new node and add to windows cluster. Once that is done you can add that node to OFS. Adding node is pretty well documented in OFA admin guide.

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

Thank you.
    The node will have the same ip and host name as previous. Will this cause any problems when starting up the server? Also, I assume you just verify the groups, once the node is back into the cluster, do I need to shutdown the database. The database is in production at the moment and 24*7. Thanks. Rgds. Sheryl

There should not be any problem provided the failed node is completed removed from OFS culster as well as from windows cluster.

No need to shutdown the DB. Once the node is added to OFS then you need to configure the passive node in DB fail-over configuration.

Thou your DB is 24 x 7, it is advisable to take some time and test the fail over just to make sure you are okay in real situation.

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala