DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Is there any way to organize or group schemas inside an instance?

Is there any way to organize or group schemas inside an instance?

Hello,

I'm using TOad and Oracle 11g.

I have a lot of shemas inside an instance... How to organize them?
    What I see is a long list of schemas which could be difficult to manage if number of schemas grows up... For example, I'd like to group Schema_1, Schema_2 and Schema_3 in something like Group_1, so it could be seen more organized.

Group_1
    Schema_1
    Schema_2
    Schema_3

Sometimes a java or .net application uses 3 or 4 schemas... these schemas are in the same instance which has other schemas for other applications.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You have a lot of schemas inside a database, not an instance. And no, there is no direct grouping of schemas. What you can do is use a role, where a user is a member of a role, and then do whatever based on what the role has permissions to do.

Quote Originally Posted by jbeteta View Post
    Hello,

I'm using TOad and Oracle 11g.

I have a lot of shemas inside an instance... How to organize them?
    What I see is a long list of schemas which could be difficult to manage if number of schemas grows up... For example, I'd like to group Schema_1, Schema_2 and Schema_3 in something like Group_1, so it could be seen more organized.

Group_1
    Schema_1
    Schema_2
    Schema_3

Sometimes a java or .net application uses 3 or 4 schemas... these schemas are in the same instance which has other schemas for other applications.
    This is a two parts answer.

1- Since a schema is nothing but the collection of objects owned by a particular Oracle user account you may end up having as many schemas as users you have defined.

2- In the described scenario where apparently there are several schema based "logical databases" running in the same Oracle instance why don't organize them by applying a proper naming convention where the prefix of the user account a.k.a. schema identifies the application, etc., etc.?
    Last edited by PAVB; 07-08-2011 at 01:28 PM. Reason: typo
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.