DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Need some clarification on ASM

Need some clarification on ASM

I am studying for 11g OCP. One of the question I read said that you have an 11g ASM with a disk group with three disks in it. One of them becomes unavailable. You alter the disk_repair_time from 3.6 hours to 5 hours. Then it asks to which disks in the disk group is this applicable?
    1. All disks in disgroup
    2. All disks in disgroup that are not currently in OFFLINE mode
    3. All disks that are currently OFFLINE
    4. All disks in the disgroups only if all of them are online

It says the answer is 2.

This does not make sense to me since you are extended the repair time so the unavailable disk does not get booted. Why would it not apply to that disk? Am I misunderstanding the answer?

Quote Originally Posted by lesstjm View Post
    I am studying for 11g OCP. One of the question I read said that you have an 11g ASM with a disk group with three disks in it. One of them becomes unavailable. You alter the disk_repair_time from 3.6 hours to 5 hours. Then it asks to which disks in the disk group is this applicable?
    1. All disks in disgroup
    2. All disks in disgroup that are not currently in OFFLINE mode
    3. All disks that are currently OFFLINE
    4. All disks in the disgroups only if all of them are online

It says the answer is 2.

This does not make sense to me since you are extended the repair time so the unavailable disk does not get booted. Why would it not apply to that disk? Am I misunderstanding the answer?
    Actually, disk_repair_time is a diskgroup attribute so as I see it, it applies to the diskgroup (telling the diskgroup not to drop a failed disk until disk_repair_time threshold is reached) and not to individual disks.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.