DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle Standard & Enterprise Edition

Can someone please tell me what the difference between these two are? I basically need to know the components/functionality between the two.

Thanks in advance,
    Nirasha

You would be able to find this information on "Getting To Know Oracle8i" manual under the chapter "Release 8.x New Features and Options"

I am sorry.

The needed information is on chapter "Oracle8i Feature and Option Availability"

Thanks, I found it.

We are thinking of a QA box and was contemplating of using the Standard Edition there. Cost is the major influencing factor and since we are a real small upcoming company I just wanted to find out whether having different editions in our landscape would seriously hamper functionality.

I know the first question is 'do we use the features of the Enterprise Edition?' and the answer is yes. But we were hoping, at this time to use Standard in the QA system?

Is there anything I should look out for?

Thanks again for your help,
    Nirasha

It again depends on "what features of EE do u use on the production side".

If u r using some features like PARTITIONing then you may need the same (EE) in QA also. On the other hand if u use features like "Managed Standby" which does not affect the funtionality/design of ur application then Standard edition would be suffice