DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: updates causing loads of redo?

updates causing loads of redo?

We have an issue where the log switches every 4 minutes on a 'test' database, i.e. not doing much, just a few tests. I have checked the log miner and discovered that an unsupported procedure was doing 41,000+ updates every 4 minutes:
    SQL> @logmnr_results

OPERATION SEG_OWNER SEG_NAME COUNT(*)
    ---------------------------------------- -------------------- UNSUPPORTED LIMARES ALLOCATION_HOLD_MAP 41024
    UNSUPPORTED SYS SEQ$ 2
    On checking the procedure ALLOCATION_HOLD_MAP it updates all 864 columns table to null every 5 seconds. Apparently this needs to be done this way, so we can ensure the data is refreshed for new data! Anyway, I am assuming that these 41000+ entries in the log file are related to these updates (updating 864 columns in the table, every 5 seconds within approx. 4 minutes. Here is the equation (60/5*4=45, 48*864=41,472).
    My question is, why is this update have 41000+ entries in the log file? Does each column updated represent one entry? Rgds. Sheryl

Mnnnhhh... 864 columns table? do you mean 864 rows table perhaps?
    Well... a redo image is needed for each update, isn't it? That's the way redo works.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

No, its one update sql statement that updates 864 columns to NULL for 1 row, e.g.

UPDATE LIMARES.ALLOCATION_HOLD_MAP
    SET
    T_1_0000 =NULL,
    T_1_0005 =NULL,
    T_1_0010 =NULL, etc etc.(864 columns later.....)
    WHERE RES_ID= :B1
    commit;
    This is why I am asking the question, I thought it would just have 1 entry in the redo log as it is 1 transation.
    Rgds. Sheryl