DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: total memory used by applications

Question total memory used by applications

I have a large database which has many applications that connects to it.
    These applications are forms/reports 10g applications that connect to the database. I want to sum up the amount of memory each application uses.
    Each user has a role assigned to them so I can probably the dba_role_privs to determine the application .

Could someone pls tell me which table can I use to determine the amount of memory used for each user/server process for each application ?

Do not worry, I'll not ask why are you looking for that information

This is a two parts answer.

1- On the Oracle side SGA+PGA will give you total memory utilization; pinpointing by app will change dynamically depending on running queries

2- On the O/S side depending on O/S you can rely on glance, top, topas, etc. A nice approximation of the memory footprint of a specific Unix side process will be the vsz value for...
    UNIX95= ps -e -o 'vsz pid ruser args stime etime' | grep PID
    ... where PID is the PID of the process you want to analyze.

Hope this helps.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thanks for your answer. I need the info on the oracle side. I would like to know the amount of SGA used by each user process at any given time. I can use v$session for each session, however v$process gives the PGA used and not the SGA used. I probably need to join v$session with another v$table ?
    I am still searching. Is my request possible ? Or this info might not be available ?