DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What is the OEM telling me?

What is the OEM telling me?

I am trying to figure out how to properly read OEM's Performance graph. During a point of high activity on my database, users complained of having very slow query times and some unresponsiveness from our application. OEM shows high levels of Network, Application, User I/O, CPU and CPU Wait.

My interpretation is:
    Network - We have users all over the US and Canada so maybe some of this is to be expected.
    CPU and CPU Wait - My server was maxed out so increasing the SGA size could eliminate this problem in the future.

So maybe the assessment above is correct, but if I am wrong I welcome any suggestions.

As for Application and User I/O I am not sure what this is telling me. Any guidance here would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    mcslain

why don't you run ADDM report during that time? It recommends you the changes required to improve the performance.

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

Try hard to get what you like OR you will be forced to like what you get.

I'll keep that in mind for the next time... I'd still like to know what the high levels of Network, Application, User I/O, CPU and CPU Wait mean though. The OEM doc is not really helpful in this area.
    Last edited by mcslain; 03-24-2011 at 09:59 AM.

Cool

Have you tried "clicking" on the list at the right hand side of the graph?
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb