DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Where to begin troubleshooting degraded performance

Where to begin troubleshooting degraded performance

My boss wrote some crystal reports that run nightly. She had the timing down and their performance was fine. Lately they have been running slower. Over the past month they have just gotten so bad. When she runs them during the day she says it takes a long time for them to complete. I look at the database when she runs them and it is not even breaking a sweat. She says (and I believe her) that the reports have not changed. I have not done anything to the database lately. It is not like there have been a lot of rows added, no indexes have been dropped. I don't see anything on the database side that would raise any red flags. I know this is a vauge question , but could anyone point me in the right direction to even start troubleshooting where the problem could be. I don't see spikes in the DB, everything I look at says there is not a problem with the DB, however they are the same reports and were running fine and now all the suddent they are slow.

trace the sessions, see what they are doing

Cool Reports, reports...so many reports.

What version?
    9i) statspack report
    10g, 11g) ADDM, AWR reports.
    And when everything else fails, RDA report
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb