DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: I have a full expdp export of my database. How to recreate a user's schema ?

I have a full expdp export of my database. How to recreate a user's schema ?

Hello everybody,

This is my first post here.
    I am a bewbie in the world of Oracle administration.

I have an Oracle 10g database.
    I have completed an expdp export full=Y.
    I have another machine on which I will install the same version of Oracle as on the first server.

I want to replicate the schema of an user from the database (data+metadata) on the new server using impdp and the previously mentioned export.

I need instructions on how to create schema and all of the required steps in order to replicate a user's schema on the second server and be able to use it as if it were the one from which the export was made.

Pls. help and bear in mind that I am a beginner.

Tks. in advance

you need to use SCHEMAS option while importing. For ex...

impdp username/password
    directory = directory_name
    dumpfile = export_dump_file_name
    logfile = impdp_log_file_name
    schemas = schema_you_want_to import

before starting import, you need to create the table space same as in the main database. If you want to create the schema objects in other table space in the new database then you need use REMAP_TABLESPACE option. Rest Oracle will takes care for you.

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

Try hard to get what you like OR you will be forced to like what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by vnktummala View Post
    you need to use SCHEMAS option while importing. For ex...

impdp username/password
    directory = directory_name
    dumpfile = export_dump_file_name
    logfile = impdp_log_file_name
    schemas = schema_you_want_to import

before starting import, you need to create the table space same as in the main database. If you want to create the schema objects in other table space in the new database then you need use REMAP_TABLESPACE option. Rest Oracle will takes care for you.

Thanks,
    Could you please give me some instructions on how to do that?
    It's a very unfamiliar territory for me.
    How will I know the parameters needed for my tablespace?
    How will I find the table space structure in the original database and using what commands will I duplicate them on the other server ?

Hopefully someone will be kind enough to advise me at my level of understanding of Oracle structure, which is very low.

Tks.

understand you are the beginner but no one here have such a free time to make you understand the basics. I suggest you to read the concepts before start working on DBA activities.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B...b14220/toc.htm

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

Quote Originally Posted by vnktummala View Post
    understand you are the beginner but no one here have such a free time to make you understand the basics. I suggest you to read the concepts before start working on DBA activities.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B...b14220/toc.htm

Thanks,
    Tks. for the link.

The idea is that I am not working on a daily basis as a DBA. Is only that I need this particular solution solved and I have no time learning Oracle to do it. Basically, what I need is a step by step procedure to use in order to duplicate the contents of a schema from the first server (using a full expdp data pump file) to a second server (on which I just installed Oracle from scratch, and I've done that also using a very thorough tutorial).

Your forum was one of the first places I found that I thought I could come up with a quick hands-on answer. Is it a very difficult procedure to explain?
    It requires too much time on your part ?
    Last edited by goguv; 03-14-2011 at 05:18 AM.

Not really, if you know the basics like how to create a table space. Creating table space is related to your environment like what are the file systems you have, how much space available in each file system, how big is your schema etc which we don't know.

Please take the help of regular DBA to create the table space and follow the steps I have explained in my first reply. That's it.

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala