DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Skill updation

Skill updation

Need some help in selecting updation courses,
    I am an Oracle 8i certified proffessional with 8 years of experience, but have taken a break since 2004 to take care of kids. Would like to restart now but need some advice on the updating my knowledge upto Oracle 11. Should I enrol for Oracle Education courses? Please advise.

Well, it's like riding the bike!!! You never forget it and even if you do, you only need 5 minutes to adjust! ^_^ . So, get some projects to work on.

Just my opinion. Good luck.

I really do not think five minutes will be enough to move from Ora8i to Ora11g specially after a six years break.

Why don't downloading Ora11g and take a look at how it feels?
    You already know the drill, install, test, test, test, test.
    Oracle documentation is still free, on the same place you used to find it for Ora8i.

Good luck!
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Some major changes: cost-based optimizer, datapump, awr/ash (diagnostic, paying but installed by default), advances in compression/partitioning, auto mem-tuning, asm, flashback

Talking 11g DBA Essentials

Or...
    You can start by taking the Oracle® Database 2 Day DBA course and follow up with the rest of DBA Essentials.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

oracle education courses

Thanx to all for ur inputs it will help me to get started, also how are the Oracle education conducted courses?

They don't teach any thing more than LKB suggested books. As you are already worked on one version, I don't see any reason to go to Oracle classes unless you have more $$$ to spend.

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

Try hard to get what you like OR you will be forced to like what you get.

You can also start by learning that there is no such word as updation in the English language.

Quote Originally Posted by pallmall View Post
    Well, it's like riding the bike!!! You never forget it and even if you do, you only need 5 minutes to adjust! ^_^ . So, get some projects to work on.

Just my opinion. Good luck.
    5 minutes? I can only begin to imagine what you don't know and the danger you present in the workplace.