DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: configuring_oracle_net

configuring_oracle_net

hi all,

i have a query in configuring oracle net for replication...

i have 2 databases at 2 different computers.

master database name with net service name is orcl and ip = 192.168.1.10

client (materialized view site) has database name and net service name = hbfm and ip = 192.168.1.11

now for successful replication, at the client's tnsnames.ora file should i do the following changes:
    1. host = 192.168.1.10
    2. SERVICE_NAME = orcl

am i right ???

i use oracle 10.2.0.1.0
    regards

you can. do check tnsping from client to master.

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

Try hard to get what you like OR you will be forced to like what you get.

hi

i was facing problems so i re created the client database with the name orcl. i.e. by now both of my master and client database names are the same (orcl).

my client database tnsnames configuration is like:
    HBFM =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.1.10)(PORT = 1521)) --master database ip
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVICE_NAME = orcl)
    )
    )

and my master database tnsnames.ora file is like:
    HBFP =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.1.10)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVICE_NAME = orcl)
    )
    )

by now i have a problem with registering propagator. i.e (ORA-23394: duplicate propagator)
    at the master site i had registered a propagator, but while attempting to register a propagator for the client database i faced this problem. i suspected my tnsnames file, thats why i mentioned this in my post here

please help me out at this

regards

you said master and client are in different machines. how come host IP is same in both the tns entries?

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

hi

i was told to do the following changes to client database's tnsnames.ora

put the service_name = master_database_name and host ip = master database containing machine. i got confused so i recreated the client database and kept same names for both master and client and just renamed both net service names for master and client via net configuration assistant.

now i have problem with propagator as i mentioned earlier

regards

Not sure if streams accepts master and client with same DB name. Please post the actual error you are getting.

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

actually i am following the oracle recommended book: Replication Management API Reference 10g (10.2).

i am novice to replication and i trying it the way its written in that book... i.e., i created a full fledged OLTP and supposed it a master site. gave the repliction admin all the rights, registered propagator and reciever, created proxy master site user...

then on the other machine i installed anoter database and created a mv_admin, gave rights, created a propagator but when i tried to register the propagator i confronted this problem...

i still suspect my tnsnames.ora file. please give me some comments about that too. i wonder whether i was right to put the machine ip address of the master database in the mv_site???

please have a look at my tnsnames configuration which mentioned in the prevous post...

the copy of my spool where i got the error is as follows:

SQL> BEGIN
    2 DBMS_DEFER_SYS.REGISTER_PROPAGATOR (
    3 username => 'propagator');
    4 END;
    5 /
    BEGIN
    ERROR at line 1:
    ORA-23394: duplicate propagator
    ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_DEFER_INTERNAL_SYS", line 1572
    ORA-06512: at "SYS.DBMS_DEFER_SYS", line 2460
    ORA-06512: at line 2

regards...

as both the DB names are same, when you are registering second time it seems it is again connecting to master site or other way when you are registering first time it connected to client site.

Please double check the host IP address given in the tnsnames file. First connect to each DB using tns alias and confirm it is connecting to right DB.

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

hi

i got my problem 90% fixed. my suspicion was right... the way i was configuring my tnsnames.ora files was
    incorrect. i was accessing master from client but i was not accessing client's own database. the correct version
    of both tnsnames.ora file that had to be the same at master and client site is as follows

HBFM =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.1.11)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVICE_NAME = orcl)

HBFP =
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 192.168.1.10)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SERVICE_NAME = orcl)
    )
    )

HBFM is materialized view site for HBFP. each tnsnames.ora file had to have a net service name and hence an
    access to the other participating database .

now the other mind teaser that i am confronting is that OracleDBConsoleORCL service at the client site hbfm (in services.msc of windows xp)
    is unable to turn on, due to which master site HBFP can not connect to the client database HBFM.

even while configuring the tnsnames.ora file at the client site via the net configuration assitant, the service test
    failed to connect to hbfm. ora-12170 is the error prompted...

can u help me at this now???

another question i want to ask,, should i index only the foreign keys and replicate these indexes only or should i replicate all the indexes that i have in my master schema ???

the book that i am following has explicitly mentioned to index the foreign keys and replicate them, but it didnt replicated the other indexes while mentioning the examples of replication...

waiting for help

regards...