DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: TNS-12541: TNS:no listener | Lister is UP

TNS-12541: TNS:no listener | Lister is UP

Hi,

im struggling with a listener issue. I have several Oracle/SAP environments i am responsible for. Most of them run fine but on some i get the error: TNS-12541: TNS:no listener. On one of them this occurs quite a lot actually.
    So what is the case?
    Im running Oracle 10.2.04 on windows 2003, of course the listener is running (DUH). Also the tnsnames.ora sqlnet.ora and listener.ora are defined properly. Most of the cases it is not even causing issues (since it SAP is running on top of it). However some actions do start a process outside the SAP instance, like applying a SAP transport. And on those cases sometimes I get the above mentioned error.
    So I got suspicious and started a tnsping in a loop. It turns out the 12541 pops up quite regularly, enough to make me worried. The frequency change from several times a minute to once every couple of minutes.

It doesn’t seems to be an network issue since a ping to wherever always goes fine.
    So I turned on tracing (in the listener.ora) on to level ADMIN, turns out there are no trace entries from the failed tnsping. I moved up the level to SUPPORT. Same, no trace entries, there is a time gap on the moments that tnsping fails. The same counts for the listener.log…no logging of the failed occurrences.

Then I added a R3trans –d in the loop. Of course this check also fails every now and then and the following info I find in the sqlnet.log

Fatal NI connect error 12541, connecting to:
    (DESCRIPTION=(SDU=32768)(ADDRESS=(COMMUNITY=SAP.WORLD)(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=prd01)(PORT=1527))(CONNECT _DATA=(SID=PRD)(GLOBAL_NAME=PRD.WORLD)(CID=(PROGRAM=I:\usr\sap\PRD\SYS\exe\run\R3trans.exe)(HOST=PRD 01)(USER=prdadm))))

VERSION INFORMATION:
    TNS for 64-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.2.0 - Production
    Windows NT TCP/IP NT Protocol Adapter for 64-bit Windows: Version 10.2.0.2.0 - Production
    Time: 15-FEB-2011 12:09:35
    Tracing not turned on.
    Tns error struct:
    ns main err code: 12541
    TNS-12541: TNS:no listener
    ns secondary err code: 12560
    nt main err code: 511
    TNS-00511: No listener
    nt secondary err code: 61
    nt OS err code: 0

See here the related parameter files:

Listener.ora:
    ################
    ADMIN_RESTRICTIONS_LISTENER = on
    LISTENER =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS =
    (PROTOCOL = IPC)
    (KEY = SID.WORLD)
    )
    (ADDRESS=
    (PROTOCOL = IPC)
    (KEY = SID)
    )
    (ADDRESS =
    (COMMUNITY = SAP.WORLD)
    (PROTOCOL = TCP)
    (HOST = host)
    (PORT = 1527)
    )
    )
    STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_LISTENER = 0
    CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER = 10
    TRACE_LEVEL_LISTENER = OFF
    SID_LIST_LISTENER =
    (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
    (SDU = 32768)
    (SID_NAME = SID)
    (ORACLE_HOME = I:\oracle\SID\102)
    )
    )

Sqlnet.ora
    ################
    AUTOMATIC_IPC = ON
    TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT = OFF
    NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = WORLD
    NAME.DEFAULT_ZONE = WORLD
    SQLNET.EXPIRE_TIME = 0
    SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES = (NTS)
    TCP.NODELAY=YES

Tnsnames.ora
    ################
    PRD.WORLD=
    (DESCRIPTION =
    (SDU = 32768)
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
    (ADDRESS =
    (COMMUNITY = SAP.WORLD)
    (PROTOCOL = TCP)
    (HOST = host)
    (PORT = 1527)
    )
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
    (SID = SID)
    (GLOBAL_NAME = SID.WORLD)
    )
    )

Some things I am wondering about, although I don’t think they are related to the problem:

-should the parameter DEFAULT_SDU_SIZE be defined in the sqlnet.ora as well?
    -CONNECT_TIMEOUT_LISTENER is obsolete I read since Oracle 9i?
    -AUTOMATIC_IPC is also obsolete?

My next step would be to make a client and server trace (TRACE_LEVEL_CLIENT, TRACE_LEVEL_SERVER in sqlnet.ora)

Im wondering if I should experiment with the following parameters:
    SQLNET.INBOUND_CONNECT_TIMEOUT (in sqlnet.ora) (120?)
    INBOUND_CONNECT_TIMEOUT_ (in listener.ora) (120?)
    QUEUESIZE (in listener.ora) (although I don’t think that would do anything here since it should more solve issues like simultaneous logon of many processes to the database…which is not the case in a SAP environment)

Any ideas/clues? thanks in advance!

can you send the lsnrctl>status o/p?

Also check whether you have set TNS_ADMIN env variable on windows.

Quote Originally Posted by mayura.ch View Post
    Also check whether you have set TNS_ADMIN env variable on windows.
    well it is obviously set else it would go wrong all the time. As said, it doesnt happen all the time, just every now and then. Moslty several times in a minute. I have tnsping looping so it tries it every 0.6 seconds.

Anyway, the issue is solved since i run the listener on port 1521 instead of 1527...!?!?!

that's great!

well, i spoke too fast. Yesterday after changing the port, all tnsping attempts were working fine while before several attempts per minute would fail. However, earlier today the problem is back again unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by poling View Post
    well, i spoke too fast. Yesterday after changing the port, all tnsping attempts were working fine while before several attempts per minute would fail. However, earlier today the problem is back again unfortunately.
    Is the target host remote?

Set a job to ping host then check if ping fails at the same time you experience listener issues.

Set another job to tnsping host then check if ping and tnsping log errors correlate or not.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

@PAVB, no local listener. Already tried to do a ping a the same time, to itself, and other host, an R3trans, a lsnrctl status and a tnsping to another db plus a tnsping to the db from and other host using the same listener.

Findings:
    ping to itself never fails
    ping to other host never fails
    R3trans does fail (with the same error)
    lsnrctl status fails and shows no listener
    tnsping to other db (almost) never fails
    tnsping from another host (almost) never fails

so...i dont know what to conclude anymore.

I read http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B...fg.htm#i490287 and more specifically the part about "Registering Information with a Nondefault Listener". I tried to use this but im still no sure how to configure this. I followed what is in the document but i recieved :

ORA-00119: invalid specification for system parameter LOCAL_LISTENER
    ORA-00132: syntax error or unresolved network name 'LISTENER_BID'

??