DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: database open time

database open time

Hi

Is there any way to find out a database open time.
    (startup_time from v$instance shows the time when db was mounted.)

Thank you!

yes... check alertlog.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

I am Sorry,

I should have mentioned that I need to find it in the database table or view.
    So correct question is :

Is there any way to find out a database open time apart from alert log file.

Thanks

no other way.

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

Try hard to get what you like OR you will be forced to like what you get.

Ok then. I anticipated this ... Thanks anyway!

why *must* it be a database table - what is wrong with reading the alert log?

why dont you load the alert log into a table and query that?

I wrote a pl/sql package using dblinks quiering ~20 dbs every 5min or so and produces outage report. It all worked perfect until I hit this bag (my mistake), The hole concept was that I used startup time taken from v$instance to identify the outage. But didn't realise that when RMAN does hot backup it puts db in mount mode and startup time is popoulated however db is still unavailable etc.. anyway I re- thinking logic now ....

Quote Originally Posted by zam View Post
    ...But didn't realise that when RMAN does hot backup it puts db in mount mode and startup time is popoulated however db is still unavailable etc..
    do you mean... during restore, isn't it?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Why ? I didnt say restore ... No - During the backup!

Oops.. yes ..it's not HOT it;s COLD backup when Rman put db in mount mode and then does the copy...