DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: single big tablespace versus multiple tablespaces

single big tablespace versus multiple tablespaces

My database version is

Code:
    Oracle Database 11g Enterprise Edition Release 11.1.0.7.0 - 64bit Production
    PL/SQL Release 11.1.0.7.0 - Production
    CORE    11.1.0.7.0      Production
    TNS for Linux: Version 11.1.0.7.0 - Production
    NLSRTL Version 11.1.0.7.0 - Production
    My os version is

Code:
    Linux damdat01 2.6.18-128.7.1.el5 #1 SMP Wed Aug 19 04:00:49 EDT 2009 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    My database is OLP system.

My question is what are the advantages and disadvantages having one single tablespace versus multiple tablespace?

Easy to maintain when you have single tablespace. but hard to track the IO issues.

Any other input from any one? Please let me know.

BFT has some advantageous like it simplifies table space management, simplifies data file management (with OMF) and it also has the disadvantageous like it takes more time in case of restore / recover. Google it for more details.

by the way, what is your DB size?

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

Try hard to get what you like OR you will be forced to like what you get.

Cool

Adding to vnktummala's post:

1) It will also depend on the number of files. If you have one tablespace with many files, the backups/restore can be parallelized (vg in RMAN) and you can track I/O issues per file.

2) If you have one or several tablespaces for each schema, you can use "transportable tablespaces" feature for moving data or backing up (archiving old) partitions.

3) Otherwise if you have "bigfiles" tablespace, backups/restore can get un-wieldly.

4) And so on...

My 2c
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb

My DB size couple of tera byte. I am looking difference between one tablepsace with multiple data files versus multiple tablespace with multiple data files. Thanks for your input though.

Quote Originally Posted by vnktummala View Post
    BFT has some advantageous like it simplifies table space management, simplifies data file management (with OMF) and it also has the disadvantageous like it takes more time in case of restore / recover. Google it for more details.

Thanks,

Thank you!! Appreciate your input.

Quote Originally Posted by LKBrwn_DBA View Post
    Adding to vnktummala's post:

1) It will also depend on the number of files. If you have one tablespace with many files, the backups/restore can be parallelized (vg in RMAN) and you can track I/O issues per file.

2) If you have one or several tablespaces for each schema, you can use "transportable tablespaces" feature for moving data or backing up (archiving old) partitions.

3) Otherwise if you have "bigfiles" tablespace, backups/restore can get un-wieldly.

4) And so on...

My 2c

Thank you!! My db size is 2TB. I am looking difference between single tablespace with multiple datafiles versus multiple tablespace with multiple data files.

Quote Originally Posted by vnktummala View Post

Thanks,