DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oracle Patchset Issue

Oracle Patchset Issue

Hi,

I am just starting to work with Oracle.. please bear with me.

I installed 10.2.0.1 for Windows 2003 server, after which everything worked fine. OEM started fine, and I was able to talk to everything.

Then I went to apply the 10.2.0.5 patchset (the newest that I could find), and now OEM does not connect to the database instance. The Agent to connection Instance is down as well. The listener however, is up.

I followed the instructions in the release notes to stop all the services and databases properly, and I've looked at Metalink articles for an hour trying to troubleshoot this apparently simple issue.

I did change the SYS and SYSTEM passwords upon the 10.2.0.1 install, but other than that, it was a perfectly vanilla install!! I applied the patchset immediately after and it broke.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance!

Hi, thanks for the reply. This is what I tried:

-set ORACLE_HOME=d:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1
    -set ORACLE_SID=orcl
    emca -config dbcontrol db -repos create

This is what I get:

STARTED EMCA at Dec 26, 2010 8:48:21 PM
    EM Configuration Assistant, Version 10.2.0.5.0 Production
    Copyright (c) 2003, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Enter the following information:
    Database SID: orcl
    Dec 26, 2010 8:48:26 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.DatabaseChecks checkDbAvailabilityImpl

WARNING: ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

Dec 26, 2010 8:48:26 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.DatabaseChecks throwDBUnavailableException

SEVERE:
    Database instance is unavailable. Fix the ORA error thrown and run EM Configuration Assistant again.

Some of the possible reasons may be :

1) Database may not be up.
    2) Database is started setting environment variable ORACLE_HOME with trailing '/
    '. Reset ORACLE_HOME and bounce the database.

For eg. Database is started setting environment variable ORACLE_HOME=/scratch/db
    / . Reset ORACLE_HOME=/scratch/db and bounce the database.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Like the error message indicates, Oracle is not available. Not running, shut down, gone, nada, zip. Since you are on Windows, make sure the service is started (and more than likely since you won't know any different, the database will be open too). Then re-run the command. And try recreate, not create.

Hi,

All 4 oracle services are started:
    OracleDBConsoleorcl
    OracleOraDb10g_home1iSQL*Plus
    OracleOraDb10g_home1TNSListener
    OracleServiceORCL

..tried it with recreate, same error..

Again when I try to load "Database Control - orcl", it shows Database Instance: Down, Listener: Up, Agent Connection to Instance: Down..

What is autostart set to for your service? If true, then go into a command shell, export oracle_sid, do sqlplus /nolog, conn / as sysdba. What is the output from that: Connected or Connected to an idle instance? If idle, issue startup.

hey that looks like we're getting somewhere! All services set to autostart. Instance was Idle. Here's the output:

D:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\BIN>echo %oracle_sid%
    orcl

D:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\BIN>sqlplus /nolog

SQL*Plus: Release 10.2.0.5.0 - Production on Mon Dec 27 12:19:36 2010

Copyright (c) 1982, 2010, Oracle. All Rights Reserved.

SQL> conn / as sysdba
    Connected to an idle instance.
    SQL> startup
    ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 612368384 bytes
    Fixed Size 1304752 bytes
    Variable Size 171968336 bytes
    Database Buffers 436207616 bytes
    Redo Buffers 2887680 bytes
    Database mounted.
    ORA-01092: ORACLE instance terminated. Disconnection forced

SQL>

What should I try next? How come I have to manually start the instance? Do I have to do this every time? Why is it terminating?

Also, nothing in the Application Event Log that tells me why I got the ORA-01092, is there a logfile somewhere?

Thanks
    Last edited by dontinou; 12-27-2010 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dontinou View Post
    SQL> conn / as sysdba
    Connected to an idle instance.
    SQL> startup
    ORACLE instance started.

Total System Global Area 612368384 bytes
    Fixed Size 1304752 bytes
    Variable Size 171968336 bytes
    Database Buffers 436207616 bytes
    Redo Buffers 2887680 bytes
    Database mounted.
    ORA-01092: ORACLE instance terminated. Disconnection forced

SQL>

What should I try next? How come I have to manually start the instance? Do I have to do this every time? Why is it terminating?

Also, nothing in the Application Event Log that tells me why I got the ORA-01092, is there a logfile somewhere?
    Did you check alert log?
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

OK got a little farther:

- I found the alert.log, see attached (alert_orcl_startup_error.txt) for what I get when I run startup
    - I was able to get the instance up if I run startup upgrade, see attached log (alert_orcl_startup_upgrade_noerror.txt)
    - I figure why not try to recreate the EM repository, it gets farther now, but it keeps telling me I'm not giving it the right password!! (I am sure I am)
    - EM page obviously still cannot talk to the db instance
    - Trying to run a normal startup after running startup upgrade (after a shutdown) still does not work

Here's the output:

D:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\BIN>emca -config dbcontrol db -repos recreate

STARTED EMCA at Dec 27, 2010 3:34:37 PM EM Configuration Assistant, Version 10.2.0.5.0 Production
    Copyright (c) 2003, 2009, Oracle. All rights reserved.

Enter the following information:
    Database SID: orcl
    Database Control is already configured for the database orcl
    You have chosen to configure Database Control for managing the database orcl
    This will remove the existing configuration and the default settings and perform a fresh configuration

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    WARNING : While repository is dropped the database will be put in quiesce mode.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Do you wish to continue? [yes(Y)/no(N)]: y
    Listener port number: 1521
    Password for SYS user:
    Password for SYS user: Dec 27, 2010 3:34:53 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.DatabaseChecks validateUserCredentials
    SEVERE: Enterprise Manager Configuration is not supported in database restricted mode.

Password for DBSNMP user:

Dec 27, 2010 3:35:38 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.util.GeneralUtil initSQLEngine
    WARNING: ORA-01035: ORACLE only available to users with RESTRICTED SESSION privilege

Dec 27, 2010 3:35:40 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.util.GeneralUtil initSQLEngine
    WARNING: ORA-01035: ORACLE only available to users with RESTRICTED SESSION privilege

Password validation failed. Some of the possible reasons may be:

1) Invalid username/password.
    2) Password file may be missing or configured incorrectly.
    Password for DBSNMP user: Dec 27, 2010 3:35:48 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.util.GeneralUtil initSQLEngine

Dec 27, 2010 3:35:51 PM oracle.sysman.emcp.util.GeneralUtil initSQLEngine

Password validation failed. Some of the possible reasons may be:

1) Invalid username/password.
    2) Password file may be missing or configured incorrectly.

------

So my questions are:

1. What does it mean when I have to start the database with startup upgrade?

2. Why did this happen after the 10.2.0.5 patchset upgrade when everything was fine before?

3. How do I get the database back to normal?

Thanks!!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by dontinou View Post
    So my questions are:

1. What does it mean when I have to start the database with startup upgrade?

2. Why did this happen after the 10.2.0.5 patchset upgrade when everything was fine before?

3. How do I get the database back to normal?
    1- 'cause you are upgrading from 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.5 - aren't you?
    2- 'cause you are upgrading from 10.2.0.1 to 10.2.0.5 - aren't you?
    3- Restore your last known good backup including binaries - if this is a home lab and you do not have a backup, trash the environment and start from scratch.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.