DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: How to restrict a user to a tablespace

How to restrict a user to a tablespace

The DBA is gone and I am stuck trying to administer this in his absense, my Oracle skills are lacking but any help would be appreciated.

We have a user requesting that this oracle user account be only allowed to see one tablespace. The tablespace in question is set to oracle users default tablespace, but he can still see all of the other tablespaces on the database when he uses said account.

Is there some kind of permission I can set to deny him access to any of the others?

Thank you for your help and understanding

See if he has select any table system privilege granted to him.if so,revoke it and grant select on tables for schema which has objects in that tablespace.

Quote Originally Posted by areeb View Post
    See if he has select any table system privilege granted to him.if so,revoke it and grant select on tables for schema which has objects in that tablespace.
    I dont see him having that privledge. In the enterprise manager, there are no items found for everything except for quota (for its default tablespace) and roles which has connect and mms. It used to have dba, but I removed that thinking that it was causing it to see all the tablespaces.

When I go to grant system privileges, I dont see an option for SELECT ON, they are all SELECT ANY. I am using the web front end though, do I need to do something in SQL+ for that?

Edit: Found this on Google, is this what I am looking for? And if it is, where the F do I put this...

http://clipmarks.com/clipmark/136843...-71EF33D17F34/
    Last edited by Decivox; 12-17-2010 at 05:18 PM.

A user can own objects (e.g., tables) spanning multiple tablespaces. If I (as another user) have select privileges on those objects, I have access (albeit limited) to the other tablespaces. Objects are stored within a tablespace (you have a default TS, but may have quotas on other TSs).

In other words, restricting a user from having access to other tablespaces means that whatever the user can select is only in one tablespace.

Someone asking about "this oracle user account be only allowed to see one tablespace" doesn't really know what he or she is asking for, or the question was lost in translation.