DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Pct_free

Pct_free

Hi,

quick question.

In a data warehouse DB, If i know that in any given table only insert operations happens, is it feasible to set pctfree to 0 to save some storage?

I know depends on block size and row length there is a chance of row chaining. I am monitoring the table regularly. Also, want to see the comments about the same here.

Thanks,
    Last edited by vnktummala; 11-11-2010 at 02:08 AM. Reason: typo
    Vijay Tummala

Try hard to get what you like OR you will be forced to like what you get.

Would work for updates too as long as changed value is no longer than the original. Seems like that setting wouldn't cause any problems.

Thanks Stecal.

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

Quote Originally Posted by vnktummala View Post
    In a data warehouse DB, If i know that in any given table only insert operations happens, is it feasible to set pctfree to 0 to save some storage?

I know depends on block size and row length there is a chance of row chaining. I am monitoring the table regularly. Also, want to see the comments about the same here.
    This is a very good analysis and I agree with Stecal comment.

Building on such comment as well as in original analysis I would like to add that - in my experience - setting pct_free to values in between 5 and 10 brings to the table the best of both world, space saving and low percentaje of chained/migrated rows.

Having said that, I've also seen DWH tables getting new columns as well as getting "special" update processes which caused horrendous results on the chained/migrated rows department.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Thanks Paul.

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala