DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: DB Migration suggestion

DB Migration suggestion

Hi all,

I have database in 9.2.0.3 on windows 2003 R2 one server and i have serve with 10.2.0.4 64 bit on windows 2008 R2 64 bits.

I want to move database from 9.2.0.3 to new server on 10.2.0.4. what will be easies and fastest way and please explain the steps too.

!)
    should i do the cold backup of 9.2.0.3 and then create db instance on new server and then use dimutility to create new instance and then run the patch upgrade

!!) I wuold like to do export all schema and user permision (is if possible?)
    export and then import to new server? How? Please provide me steps

Thanks
    P

How big is the database?
    How much downtime you have to do it?
    Are both servers in the same network?

Either way, the easiest way would be...
    1- Pre create database in target server
    2- Script security from source server
    3- Export affected schemas from source server
    4- FTP dump file and security scripts to target server
    5- Import schemas into target server
    6- Apply security scripts to target server
    7- Check object counts between source and target servers; fix what's needed.
    8- Check invalid objects in target server, fix what's needed.

Hope this helps.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Hi,

The database is about 15 g

downtime can be granted if needed. And they are on both samenetwork.

I was thinking of full export and then import, but what are the step and script should i follow? Please guide.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by midora View Post
    The database is about 15 g

downtime can be granted if needed. And they are on both samenetwork.

I was thinking of full export and then import, but what are the step and script should i follow? Please guide.
    Small database, you should be done in two to three hours.

I suggest to do a test-run to check procedure and timing then go for the real thing.

Check this... http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B...530/expimp.htm
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Please be aware that you only want your actual data schemas and not "Oracle" schemas. you don't want to reimport SYS and System Objetcs so you will have to apply some filters about what you really want to export/import from one instance to the other.

Everyone probably is aware of this reallity but couldn't help by stating the obvious.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Warluck View Post
    Please be aware that you only want your actual data schemas and not "Oracle" schemas. you don't want to reimport SYS and System Objetcs so you will have to apply some filters about what you really want to export/import from one instance to the other.

Everyone probably is aware of this reallity but couldn't help by stating the obvious.

Good Luck.
    FYI - during full export SYS objects will be ignored by Oracle.

Thanks,
    Vijay Tummala

Try hard to get what you like OR you will be forced to like what you get.

Well, thank you very much for that information, I didn't know that. But what will happend with SYSTEM objects and other "oracle" components installed by DBCA, will they also be ignored or will they be reimported into the new database?

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E...t.htm#i1004890

Export is a logical backup, as opposed to a physical backup. That means data (and the objects that support data).
    http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E...t.htm#BABDFBAI

"You can also display the contents of an export file without actually performing an import. To do this, use the Import SHOW parameter."

Take a full export. Then import with SHOW and see for yourself what is being imported/created.