DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: My First Question

My First Question

I'm looking into becoming an Oracle DBA. I've never done DBA work, but I've worked on Oracle databases via PL/SQL for 7 years. I was recently given the following problem and need help from someone who can show me how to solve the problem. I don't just want an answer...I want to learn how to do this.

Here's the problem:

Create a data model to represent and persist an unlimited hierarchy of pinball machine components. Each component can be comprised of an unlimited number of other components. Any component can have an unlimited number of key/value attributes versioned by date and department.

For example, the "Family Fun Zone" department may use version 5 of the "My Little Pony" graphic theme for the scoreboard, while the "EMEA" department uses the "David Hasselhoff" version 3 graphic theme.

Write SQL to report on all attributes by pinball machine by department created in the last month

Bonus: add a trigger to check for circular references.

Thanks for your help.

AslanBooks

This is a Data Modeling question, doesn't matter if physical implementation would be on an Oracle platform or any other RDBMS platform.

Are you familar with Entity-Relationship modeling?
    Are you familiar with Data Normalization up to the third normal form?

If not, better to start there.

Hope this helps.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Where would I find the best explanations?

AslanBooks

Quote Originally Posted by AslanBooks View Post
    AslanBooks
    You need to create a self join. The classic example of a self join is the employee manager relationship, where a manager has a manager, except when he is the CEO. Hence the component table has a component_id column and a mast_comp_id column which is nullable.

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B...queries006.htm

Quote Originally Posted by AslanBooks View Post
    Bing "ER Modeling" and "data normalization, 3NF" ... plenty of documents in the net.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Cool Hierarchy example(s)

Check out some hierarchical data model examples here.

Good luck!
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it." --Chinese Proverb