DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What table will show what view columns with table columns?

What table will show what view columns with table columns?

I have a very complexed view that retrieves information from several tables, and I need to know what table columns these view columns are referencing, for example:
    create sds_test (sds_num number, sds_data varchar2(50);
    create sds_view (test_num,test_data) as (select sds_num,sds_data from sds_test);

How can I find out what table column test_num on the view sds_view is referencing, i.e. result would be sds_num on the table sds_test.

Thanks. Regards, Sheryl

Extract view DDL - everything is there.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Hi Paul, Thanks for the info, but this particular view is very complexed. It has over 184 columns, retrieving data from 6 different tables, using decodes etc. So searching through the extracted DDL for the column would be very time consuming and difficult. Is there an easier way?
    Thanks.
    Rgds. Sheryl

Quote Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
    Hi Paul, Thanks for the info, but this particular view is very complexed. It has over 184 columns, retrieving data from 6 different tables, using decodes etc. So searching through the extracted DDL for the column would be very time consuming and difficult. Is there an easier way?
    Thanks.
    Rgds. Sheryl
    Have you tried using exp and imp?

exp userid=/ owner=some_schema
    imp userid=/ indexfile=foo.sql

that'll get you the ddl than all you have to do is look for REM or remove them
    if you want to be able to re-process the statement.